Is Drivers Education really worth it?

Driver's Ed costs $370 bucks for my son to take. Do you really save that much on car insurance to counteract the cost of it? I know that it's also nice for learning the basics and warnings, since I took it, but my son is an honor student so I don't worry too much about him being irresponsible.  Money is tight.
Do I go for it?

Jambo4

Asked by Jambo4 at 3:05 PM on Nov. 27, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• I think that it does pay for itself. I would not count on him being responsible just because he is an honor student. One of my friends was a straight A student all AP classes and wound up dying right after graduation because of reckless driving. I would just look at it as one more way to prepare for a big step in his life. Although cost is quite a bit. When I was in school we were able to take it as an elective. If it was not offered I know that i would not have been able to take it because my Mom would not have been able to afford it.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 3:08 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• I did driver's ed, cost me $500, my mom made me pay for it myself, I had a part time job at the time. It was worth it simply because i am very educated with the rules of the road, they prepared me for different situations when driving, and overall I take what I learned on the road with me every time I drive. Great knowledge, and completely worth it.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 3:08 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• Wow. That's cheap.

Our driving course is $970 per kid, no insurance discount (life in the Socialist Republic of British Columbia, Canada, and government insurance)...

My kids didn't learn 'the basics' they learned how to drive properly. They know the laws of the road, including what all those cute little lines mean --and how to drive in snow, and how to do safe emergency stops. All I had to do was take them out to practice, and I even got a lesson in how to do that properly included.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 3:08 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• YES! It is good information and practice. Not to mention some insurance companies offer a discount for a completed course.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:11 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• I would, a lot of insurance companies give you a discount for having it.

Answer by older at 3:53 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• Wow! The classroom portion is free (part of sophmore PE); the range cost is $20

Answer by rkoloms at 4:20 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• I think that it's worth it. We (well, our sons) paid $80 a month per teen driver (they had used vehicles) because they went through Drivers Ed AND because they were good students (minus the good student driving record it would have been an extra $20 a month for their inurance). We had to pay $400 per driver for them to ggo to driving school since they didn't offer drivers ed at school. It also teaches more than the basics. Their instructor took them out on rainy days and had they been attending during the winter they would have gone out on snowy days, they drove in all sorts of settings (road contrucstion, rush hour traffic, etc.) & they learned a little more than just the basics. Both were responsible & honor students but they were still inexperienced drivers who needed to learn the rules of the road and how to drive.
    Anonymous

• Call your local insurance agent and find out what the discount is.
    Here in NC, in order to get your PERMIT - you MUST have drivers ed unless you are over 18.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 7:30 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• yes it is. the instructers are well seasoned and they explain it alot better imo.
    maya123

Answer by maya123 at 8:54 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• In my state, for a person under 18 to get a license, they HAVE to take drivers ed or they do not get their license. There is NO other choice.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:00 AM on Nov. 28, 2010