Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

who knows legal stuff? Has anyone ever sued for....

being a terrible parent? Like setting you up to fail in life.

-allowing child to leave school in 8th grade
- fake homeschooling
-not making them graduate or get GED

Like is there a legal loop hole where if you have to sign paperwork to remove your 14 y/o from school you're promising to pick up where the teachers left off and have a moral/legal obligation to see they graduate or get GED at some point in time? Could failure to provide an education and tearing them away from their legal right to a public education be cause for a civil suit?

Answer Question

Asked by hibbingmom at 3:34 PM on Nov. 27, 2010 in

Level 35 (71,876 Credits)
Answers (5)
  • Hmm I dont know but it sounds like a good start.

    Answer by bhoward87 at 3:37 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

  • I too have no answer for you but I sure do hope you get the answer you need!

    Answer by jem102675 at 3:40 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

  • Yes. Children have sued to be emancipated (made legal adults) from their parents... and have sued for a variety of other things --usually to get their claws into their parents' money instead of waiting for any inheritance that they feel entitled to.

    What you're talking about is 'failing to provide the necessities of life' and that's an issue for social services. If, in fact, the child is not in any way (as opposed to 'in any way you think qualifies') receiving an education.

    My kids were homeschooled throughout the public school years (they both attended college), and not once did what we did look remotely like what happens in schools --because I don't have any respect for curricula, and having read several of them I have an informed opinion. We also didn't follow anything like 'school hours' because that is also irrelevant to real life.

    There is no paperwork promising anything in most states.

    Answer by LindaClement at 3:41 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

  • There is a moral obligation but not a legal one, the young adult when they become of age can remedy the situation by getting the education they were deprived of. There is no suit here, but to be sure talk to a family lawyer.

    Answer by older at 3:41 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

  • Probably not but it is grounds for neglect proceedings. There is a category for educational neglect that CPS will look into.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:06 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.