What kind of birthday activity can I do for my 6 yr olds b-day party? Any suggestions?

He wants to go to an indoor water park but, I don't want the expense of it. Plus, he is only in K and some kids may not be great swimmers like him. I suggested this place that has inflatables and he wasn't too excited about it. I was thinking Chuck E. Cheese party but our friends just had a b-day party there. So, he doesn't want to copy.

craftysoccermom

Asked by craftysoccermom at 3:41 PM on Nov. 27, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Roller Skating? I always just let the kids free play! They tend to like that!
    jem102675

Answer by jem102675 at 3:44 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• I like a nice old fashioned birthday party at home, ice cream and cake, a few party games and favors,and that's it. It doesn't need to be some big expensive event. It's nice to keep it simple.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 3:48 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• Skating, bowling, etc. Many places will do birthday parties for large quantities :)
    CandyHorse

Answer by CandyHorse at 3:48 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• there's several good kids movies playing right now. do a movie theater party! see if you can find one w/ 3D

hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 3:51 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• Our budget never stretched to that kind of entertaining... and it struck me that when the guest list is limited to people the child actually wants to spend time with (as opposed to the horror of inviting everyone in the classroom or something), what they really want to do is the same kinds of things they do when they have playdates, plus cake.

We always had some kind of simple craft for when kids were arriving, followed by clean-up (one table) and free play time, followed by non-competitive games of one kind or another (popping balloons with animal pictures in them, make the noise of the animal --good outside game; graveyard, everyone laid on the floor trying not to move while 'it' tries to make them laugh -good inside game), cake, presents, see ya...

Hour and a half, max, between meals...all kids bring a parent along who stays (not babysitting 7 excited six year olds, thanks).
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 3:52 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• it kinda sounds like you're doing the whole class or pretty close? too many people for your house? my son is 6 and he likes to EAT.... his favorite parties right now are build your own taco buffets and home made pizza stuff. you can even get real good dough from a local pizza place and make it extra special and set out a huge spread of anything and everything a human being could possibly put on a pizza..... if you have to go somewhere cuz the guest list is BIG, don't forget about local musuem/childrens museum , zoo, and aquarium
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 3:58 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• I would do something at home with cake and ice cream and then maybe games. Like a treasure hunt, pinata, make an orment for the tree, bingo. Just something fun.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 4:48 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• A lot of bowling alleys around here will let you have a party and give the birtdhay kid a bowling pin that everyone at the party will sign. They also let all the guests go behind the scenes and see how the bowling alley works.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 8:11 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• The Y in our area has inexpensive pool parties. But besides that I have been thinking about a Mad Hatter Party for my son. With the Mad Hatter kind of cakes and treats and wearing crazy clothes and hats. You can do a pirate theme with a map and a treasure hunt. Each kid can go home with their treasures. We even thought about doing it at my son's favorite restaurant and just having a pizza party there. His friends eat pizza, drink, sing happy birthday....done. VERY simple. Fire houses usually do birthdays for free as a public service and rely on a "donation" from the parents. They give a tour and you get a space. Kids can play on the trucks of course. You can ask the police station, as a public service, to have a car come with an officer, to your home.  We have friends who are officers with their cars willing to come in their off time.  Karate themed?  Everyone gets a free lesson?  You can do just about anything. 

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:11 PM on Nov. 27, 2010