Did you breastfeed all or any of your children? What was the experience like?

I breastfed my last two and it was such a good experience. I didn't have to worry about warming up a bottle or making formula.

kim0167

Asked by kim0167 at 4:00 PM on Nov. 27, 2010 in General Parenting

• i have nursed 4 kids for different lengths of time (still nursing my youngest who turned 1 on the 17th) and i love nursing! its easier and it just feels like the natural and right choice for me. it hit me about 2 days after my youngest birthday that i had done it and made it a year. now she drinks milk during the day and nurses at night or when stressed and it still feels so natural for us.
    tiffanyv123

Answer by tiffanyv123 at 4:30 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• I breast feed my daughter and i did my son too. It was hard at first with my son . I finally got it at 2 months. but i love doing it i would never go to formula.
    MommyTessier

Answer by MommyTessier at 4:04 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• I breastfed all 3 of our boys for 12 months, and they all transitioned to a cup around 10 months. I wouldn't change a thing. The bonding and nutritional benefits, and it saves so much money. I also agree,it's much easier to get up at night and nurse, rather than mixing, and heating...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 4:08 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• I breast fed both of my boys, and honestly I don't know why everyone loves it... I hated it! I hated every moment of it. It's painful, exhausting, boring and when your children need as much as mine did it causes health issues and a break down for the mothers body. If I had had the option I would have supplemented formula with both of them, I did with my oldest, but my lil one wouldn't take a bottle no matter what was in it, so I didn't get that option. I couldn't pump, no matter what we tried, it just didn't work.

So yes, I nursed, and yes, I plan to nurse this one. But I honestly dread the whole idea, just thinking about it makes me want to cry...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:58 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• baby #1 son breastfed exclusively for first 2 days. 3rd day I pumped into cup and cup fed him. 4th day he consumed NOTHING and became very yellow and day 5 I was admitted to hospital and put on dialysis in renal failure, which is why I stopped producing milk and was pretty much starving him... I spent 3 weeks in ICU (where he wasn't allowed to visit) and another 2 or 3 in a normal hospital room and he made the switch to formula very well, but at 1st was almost too weak to drink from a bottle and then was so hungry he'd eat til he puked

baby #2 daughter I started latching her on about 3 hrs old after my c-section. Nurse came in to check my incision, vitals, etc and had a shit fit. I was on too much morphine for my body to filter via breastmilk and no way on earth I could nurse. Lactation lady said to pump/dump for a few wks (I had a broken hip and was in terrible pain) but I didn't see the point and let her immediately bottle.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 4:12 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• with my oldest I nursed for like 3 days then I gave up. I wish I hadn't, but the reason I did is cause it was hard and I didn't know what I was doing. The nurses at the hospital never showed me what to do, they never helped me or asked me if i was going to be nursing they never brought her to me to be fed so she wasn't latching on. With my second baby I nursed for the first 2-3 weeks. With her I was having problems after I had her I was in a lot of pain I also had to go to the er which my mom watched my kids and I had no milk pumped yet so which means she fed her a bottle why I was gone and then I had to lay in the bed for a few hours after she was born because I had a blood patch so she probably had a bottle in the nursery so when I started pumping I was only getting 2 ounces of milk out then I started drying up and then by the 2-3 weeks I didn't have anything left. contiinue.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 4:30 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• baby number 3 when we get pregnant we plan in trying to nurse again and I hope it works this time I regreat not nursing or being able to nurse and this will be our last baby so I hope it works.
    mommy5409

• I breast fed all 4 of my kids. It was nice in ways and I wouldn't do it any other way, but I sure am happy not to have huge sore breasts, and leaking milk, and smellin sour, and having to sit still when I have other things to do, and being the only one who can feed the baby.. and so on and so on... lol
    Jambo4

Answer by Jambo4 at 4:36 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• I bf'ed my oldest 2 for 15 and 18 mos and loved it I am currently bfing my 10 mo and loving it
    angelluvgoddess

Answer by angelluvgoddess at 4:38 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• Both, and overall, it was a great experience. I had a rough start with my first, and left the hospital fully intending to formula feed. We didn't try to nurse again until she was 5 days old, and from there, there was no looking back.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:17 PM on Nov. 27, 2010