Would you take advice from an obviously irresponsible doctor or nurse?

I saw an episode of What Would You Do? and it got me thinking:
I don't want to be rude, but this is the truth... I've seen doctors outside a hospital puffing like a chimney on cigarettes and I've seen a pediatrician who was morbidly obese. I know no one is perfect, but I wouldn't really take their advice seriously, because they won't even take care of themselves properly.
Do you feel the same? Or does it not matter, in your opinion?

brandyj

Asked by brandyj at 4:07 PM on Nov. 27, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• The advice would be for me not for them. If it would make me healthier then yes I would heed the advice. They are not my problem

Answer by admckenzie at 4:08 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• "Do as I say, not what I do". They have their weaknesses like everyone else.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 4:11 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• What they do outside of their job, or the way they look should not be a factor in the knowledge they have, they are also human...

Answer by older at 4:11 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• As the others have already said.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 4:13 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• I generally weigh the advice given from the my doctors anyway, REGARDLESS of how responsible they are. In fact, our family doc is responsible and highly reasoned guy, but I still weigh the advice that he gives me. If I found an irresponsible doc, I'd fire him and get a new one (of course Obama's new plan may make this highly impossible in the future).
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 4:14 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• Oooo .... did I get a down vote for snipping at Obama's health care plan???? Too bad for you it's true.
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 4:19 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• Knowledge does not change behavior. We as healthcare professionals are in the business of health promotion tho. So yes, it is our job to teach you how to better care for yourself to avoid issues later in life.. Stress from working as a RN or MD is sadly what causes most of our bad habits or in my case habits I had prior to becoming a RN :) Yes, I am a RN and smoke like a chimney too.. Hoping one day to quit because I do know the dangers first hand..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 4:19 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• I was just really bothered by the pediatrician that was about 300+ lbs. I would socialize with her in any other circumstances, it's just that I couldn't take her health advice seriously. To me, that would be like having a drunk person telling me not to bite my nails because it's a bad habit.
    brandyj

Comment by brandyj (original poster) at 4:22 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• Irresponsible as a doctor & flawed as a human are two very different things. I see no reason not to follow a Dr's advice if they are compentent. I wouldn't be bothered by an alcoholic telling me biting my nails is a bad habit--it is. An alcoholic probably knows a bit about bad habits. Alcoholism is an addiction not a habit but, that's neither here nor there.
    BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 4:39 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• Our pediatrician is overweight. I don't care! She is fabulous! She has had 3 kids and is no doubt carrying a little from each one...this doesn't make her any less of a doctor. It DOES make her human.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 5:21 PM on Nov. 27, 2010