Eczema

My little guy has eczema and it seems to be getting worse the colder it is outside. Any tips to helping him out? I already changed detergent, lather him up with Eczema creams and used some cortizone. Any other suggestions?

TsMommy428

Asked by TsMommy428 at 4:23 PM on Nov. 27, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• cut the baths down if you haven't already. once a week is plenty, unless he's really gross/smelly. the water dries them out badly. bad and recurring eczema can often be tied w/ a food allergy of somekind as well
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 4:28 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• Aquaphore. And add olive oil before bath. this help my kids.
    MommyTessier

Answer by MommyTessier at 4:35 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• my son has it too he just gets it on his face and on his back and butt area if he wears certain types of diapers. I fond the best thing is either putting a lil baking soda powder in the bathtub or doing an oatmeal bath. I also use vaseline its not harmful to the skin
    his88angel

Answer by his88angel at 5:00 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• You all are going to get tired of hearing it but "unrefined raw shea butter"
    ShouldHaveLeft

Answer by ShouldHaveLeft at 4:35 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• For a lot of people who can't digest milk protein, eczema is the primary symptom.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 4:36 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• My son has this too. We took him to an allergist and had him tested. Thankfully, he is not allergic to anything. The dermatologist prescribed him DermaSmoothe and it works great. I would ask about it. Also, I bought a cream at Babies R Us called TriDerma Baby that works well when not using the DermaSmoothe.
    CarriePM

Answer by CarriePM at 4:45 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• The thing that works best for my daughter is Vaseline. She's 5, and has been suffering since infancy. We do alternate it with 100% shea butter and crisco. We also use Rx hydrocortisone when it's flared up, ie, VERY red. Antibiotic ointment on broken skin. With the Vaseline, THICK layer, 2-3 times a day.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:15 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• Oh yeah, and ask the dermatologist about a bleach bath. We do this three times a week, about 1/8 of a cup of bleach in his baby bath, and it is helping a lot. Just don't get it in his eyes. Run it by the pediatric dermatologist first.
    CarriePM

Answer by CarriePM at 4:47 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• Awesome! Thank you for the suggestions!
    TsMommy428

Comment by TsMommy428 (original poster) at 5:12 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• Thank you Footballmom!! Very helpful!
    TsMommy428

Comment by TsMommy428 (original poster) at 5:24 PM on Nov. 27, 2010