Holiday angst.

I have so much to be thankful for...I can't even begin to count. However, I am tormented by the non-relationship with my parents. Especially with the holidays coming up, and sharing Christmas with my 1 y.o. DD and wonderful husband. Before anyone suggests a reconciliation, let me be clear that I CANNOT extend myself for too many reasons to mention. What I am looking for here, is some advice or suggestions to help ease the anxiety I feel and to help focus on the million things I have to be thankful for. Sorry to post anon, but I fear "people" may be watching. Thanks for listening ladies.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:23 PM on Nov. 27, 2010 in Holidays

• I know what you mean. We do not talk with my MIL for MANY reasons and she doesn't want to work on things. So every time the holidays or birthday's come along I start to feel guilty and think maybe I should just let her come...But my DH always reminds me of her bad ways and so we continue to not see her. I focus on my kids, friends and family that we do see. Do something to help someone in need (like the shoe box project, or toys for tots or the giving tree). I always feel better after helping those who have less than me
    OBImomma

Answer by OBImomma at 4:35 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• Anxiety is a challenge for most people. It is essentially our thoughts run away without our permission.

Whatever it is you're anxious about, there are several effective, healthy methods of dealing with it. One is Byron Katie's The Work. You can google it for instructions and how to find support.

Another is meditation. You can find instructions, guided meditations or locations of local training online.

You could try counselling --short-term cognitive/behavioural therapy has some success with anxiety.

Hypnosis can work

There are also lots of unhealthy methods that work in the short term: get drunk, create distractions like drama with others, try drugs, zone out in front of the tv or computer, OCD is popular...LOL
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 4:32 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• i wish you all the best and hope that do to the holiday's that you and your family can look past what ever it was that happened...
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 4:43 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• I kinda have a "non-relationship" with my parents. I actually have gone to counseling these last few months to help sort out what went wrong. I would go to counseling by yourself or with your husband so you will know how to effectively deal with things.
    Mindy8210

Answer by Mindy8210 at 5:00 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• Xanax love it - with the right dose your still yourself but "crazy thoughts" that run away are managable. Forgive yourself - Forgive them - you don't have to forget, but be done and move on. easier said then done. Best wishes from someone who ruined every special event with the "crazy" had to stop for the kids sake and my sanity.
    mrsljamieson

Answer by mrsljamieson at 6:14 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• Thank you ladies for telling me what I so desperately needed to hear. Happy holidays to you all!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:51 PM on Nov. 27, 2010