Why do we even have marriage?

I am really confused as to why we even have a thing called marriage. What does it even mean. If it is no ones business what people choose to do then why even bother with calling it anything anyway.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:12 PM on Nov. 5, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• Are we miffed about that CA voters said that marriage is between a man and woman only?
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 12:13 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• marriage is
    # the state of being a married couple voluntarily joined for life (or until divorce); "a long and happy marriage"; "God bless this union"
    # two people who are married to each other; "his second marriage was happier than the first"; "a married couple without love"
    # the act of marrying; the nuptial ceremony; "their marriage was conducted in the chapel"
    # a close and intimate union; "the marriage of music and dance"; "a marriage of ideas"

where does it say what gender someone has to be??? I'm so sick of the "gay marriage" crap. If they want to be joined in union like the rest of us straight idiots that did, let them.
    Anonymous

• Because some people like myself believe in marriage and what is stands for.
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 12:16 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• Because it is necessary for a nice life. It is our duty as humans to get married, be faithful to our partner, have children. It protects sexual immorality, protects against unwanted, illegitimate children. Protects against the spread of STD's. Protects against sexual promiscuity. Shall I go on?
    Anonymous

• Well what does it stand for? That is my question?
    Anonymous

• an answer Thank you anon918
    Anonymous

• Marriage is a legal contract between two people. It does not protect against unwanted pregnancies, it does not protect against the spread of STDs, it does not protect anyone from sexual promiscuity. People cheat, and when they cheat, stuff happens.
    Gilagirl

Answer by Gilagirl at 12:22 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• it stands for marriage meaning that when my hubby asked me that he proved to me and the whole world and god that he loved me enough to commit to me that much and have it sanctified by god. us mormons believe that marriage is eternal so that means a lot to me cause once i'm selaed to my love we will be a family forever and eternity. nothing on earth can break that since we won't ever divorce. wow if only you knew what that meant to you. you must not be married.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 12:31 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• actually I am married. It means a lot to me too. That is why i was married and I don't understand what it means to others that is why I am asking.
    Anonymous

• marriage is just a piece of paper. I'm not married but have been with my bf for seven years and we have one son. Marriage isn't important to me because I'm in a committed, happy relationship - why add a label to it?
    Anonymous