does anyones toddler have bad tantrums?

i have never dealt with this with my first son, so i'm lost. my 18 month old has been fits as i call them, sometimes he wakes up just crying, screaming. i hold him, then he will push me away then he wants me. and this back forth sometimes lasts for 30 minutes. but now he does this when he is awake during the middle of the day just out ogf the blue. some times i ahve to stand in one spot of the house and rock him for a long period of time before he finally calms down. i just don't get ithe just started this a couple months ago, i'm thinking of calling my doctor because this happens1-3 times a day now very stressful. i cried lastnight because i just don't know what he wants or whats wrong?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:12 PM on Nov. 5, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Call the doc. A boy at the day care I worked for had night terrors. It turns out he had a phobia of dogs and was imagining them during the day and freaking out! It doesn't sound that bad for your little one, but there could be something scaring him and the doc could help you address it and give possible solutions.
    Anonymous

• its normal i live with my niece and nephew.. 2 and 3... they will throw themselves on the ground hit you scream cry.. wake up in a horrible mood... your son is just getting to that age..it can be stressful! they also do the i want u no i dont thing.!
    Anonymous

• I can tell you what I did with all my children and it worked. First stay calm and then give him permission to throw the fit. The catch is picking one spot he can throw it. I choose the couch. As soon as the fit started, regardless of reason, they were put on the couch. When they slid down I would just pick them up and put them back. I would not hold them to calm them down. I held them after they calmed down. And don't let the fit change your mind about anything. When they were given permisson to throw the fit it kinda took a lot of their fire out and nothing changed because of the fit either. I still loved them, I wasn't upset and they still didn't get their way.
    MomShawn70

Answer by MomShawn70 at 1:53 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• Maybe, it could be a Sensory Disorder. I thought my oldest twins' fits were just that age and it turned out to be that he gets over stimulated and that is his only out let at this time. We are going to start with a weighted blanket and a swing, and holding him tight or putting a tight hat on his head helps. Maybe ask your doctor. It is only a thought.
    sammyjnrtwins06

Answer by sammyjnrtwins06 at 3:26 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• My son is 26 mo he has started doing this. I used to think kids just threw a fit to get there way, but it seems like more. He is normally a sweet little boy but when he has a fit it is like he can no control over him mind or emotions. He also seems to do it when he is really tired. However sometimes he is tired at time when he normally isn't. I think he may be getting his molars, maybe that has something to do with it. Could you son be teething, or going through a growth spurt, or just not getting enough sleep? I know that kids do go through a tanrum faze, but if he continues doing it that often then you may want to call your dr. It's free to call, can't hurt.
    AJmamma

Answer by AJmamma at 7:46 AM on Nov. 6, 2008