wet yogurt debate ......

my husband is annoyed that when serving our kids yogurt, I drain it a little over the sink because 99% of the time there's excess liquid in it..... he says its good stuff and to just stir it up really good.

do you stir, strain, or ignore?

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 4:52 PM on Nov. 27, 2010 in Food & Drink

• stir. I don't know why... I just figure it has separated and stir it.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:53 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• Stir, I doubt its a big issue either way though. If it really bothers your husband I would do it.
    TaraK.

Answer by TaraK. at 4:55 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• I stir it up, because that's what my mom did and what my Grandma does. I've never even thought about it..I open it and stir it up
    OBImomma

Answer by OBImomma at 4:55 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• I pour it off because I like the drier 'strained' greek-style yogurt that happens naturally by the time we get to the bottom of the container.

He's right, thought --there is nothing about the liquid that isn't food.

You can also use the liquid as a lovely mild skin peel, either by itself or mixed together with things like oatmeal (which you can grind finely in a blender) or oat bran or honey ... just smooth it on and read a book for 10 minutes before washing it off with warm water and a soft cloth, and moisturize with something luscious. It's a nice hand and arm treatment, and it's safe to use on your face.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 4:56 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• OKay! I looked it up(for my own curiosity) This is what I found
    That liquid is whey, the very stuff that Little Miss Muffet ate on a tuffet. When the bacteria that forms yogurt grows sufficiently, the milk coagulates. The proteins squeeze together and form curds, pushing out the watery whey.

When may be watery, but it isn’t water. Whey contains sugar, minerals, some protein and lactose. Don’t waste it. Mix it back in with the rest of the yogurt. You’ll be a better person (nutritionally, anyway) for it.

Multiple sites agree.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:59 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• Stir
    haileysmom2833

Answer by haileysmom2833 at 5:05 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• I eat coffee yogurt Dannon. About 7 or so a day. I eat it in a spoon, It is very flavorful. My granddaughter poors hers into the garbage. She doesn't think she likes it.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 5:08 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• It doesn't much matter either way. The liquid is whey. You can stir it in or toss it. It does have some nutrients though.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 5:17 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• I stir it too! It's good for you and it doesn't change the taste of the yogurt. Just try it!
    fireeyes81

Answer by fireeyes81 at 9:30 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• I think it is still good so stir it up. lol
    Jazmineamomma

Answer by Jazmineamomma at 10:20 PM on Nov. 27, 2010