What to do???????

I lost my 15 year old brother a year ago november. His name was Jacob. He was very close to my first two children both girls ages 2 and 4. I am expecting my 3rd child a boy at the end of december. And I have been thinking of naming him Jakob after my brother. I feel that since he never got to meet my brother i wanted him to have something of his. My brother was a great man. My first 2 children will always have memories and my son wont be that lucky. The issue is that im afraid my family wont be happy with my decision. I chose the name Jakob Earl after to great men in my life my brother and my grandfather. I want to give him his name but i dont wanna step on anyones toes. What do yall think? I mean before the ultrasound my sister said if its a gurl name her after me and i think my brother would have said the same if he were here. I just dont wanna hurt or make people mad. AHHHHHHH im so confused

piorkowski

Asked by piorkowski at 5:45 PM on Nov. 27, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I would think they would be honored that you would named him after your brother. Just come out and ask.
    nicjon

Answer by nicjon at 5:48 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• Sorry for your loss.
    nicjon

• Thanks. And thanks for the advice.
    piorkowski

Comment by piorkowski (original poster) at 5:50 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• I think it would be a very great way to honor your brother and your son.
    My baby boy was due Nov. 29th, he didn't come then but that was his due day. My mother as soon a she found out said if he was a boy I should name him Ronald becuase Nov. 29th was my uncle Ronnie's birthday. I never met him, he died at 18 in a car accident. But I've heard about him some and my mother has a tape of his absolutely AMAZING music.
    Ultimatrely we chose not to, my husband was dead set against it. And honestly, I don't like the name ronald!
    But I don't see that your family should be too upset, and even if they are, who cares. You are giving your son a legacy!
    My mother named me for her grandmother and great grandmother and while I totally can't stand my name, it is a great thing to at least know my n ame came from somewhere good.
    JadeRDragosani

Answer by JadeRDragosani at 5:53 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• It would definitely be more of an honor than stepping on someone's toes.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 5:58 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• I think it would be a great way to honor both your brother and grandfather! Im sure your family would feel the same way! Im sorry for your loss piorkowski!
    TsMommy428

Answer by TsMommy428 at 5:59 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• I think it's a great idea. I can't imagine that it would step on anyone's toes--and really, who cares if it does? Babies are given "family" names all the time. if you have any doubts that it will be a problem, make it the baby's middle name and that might soften the blow.
    charlottej

Answer by charlottej at 6:01 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• Just ask. Explain your feelings like you just did to us to your family and see what they say.
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 6:06 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• I'm so sorry for your loss. I more than love this idea, in fact I'm doing it myself,. If the baby I'm carrying is a boy I'm giving him the middle name Jacob. Jacob is also the name of my brother who died last year in May (he was 22). My brother had no children so it's a way to give him a legacy. For myself, I still have such a strong reaction to the name and I don't want to try and replace him so that's why I chose to use it as a middle name.
    JessWulf84

Answer by JessWulf84 at 5:34 AM on Nov. 28, 2010