Has anyone ever done the baby sign language?

What age did you start at? And how well did it work? Or any advice on how to do it? Thanks!! :)

dohrmom_2010

Asked by dohrmom_2010 at 5:52 PM on Nov. 27, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I just started doing this with my son, he is 7 months old (Im not sure if Im starting too early) but I think its a great way to communicate :) I look forward to reading these answers as well!
    TsMommy428

Answer by TsMommy428 at 5:54 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• I did from birth. I don't know if it helped at first but it got me into the habit at least. Just learn some basic signs (I had a class in it but you can look up the baby related ones online) and start signing when you say something.
    TaraK.

Answer by TaraK. at 6:02 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• I started my son when he was 10 months old. He didn't really start signing until he was about a year. It has helped SO much! He will be two in Feb and he still uses it quite a bit. When I ask him what he wants he will sign juice, milk, or water and asked for a cookie or an orange/apple. It was helpful because he originally couldn't say these words, so it saved me a lot of time asking him. He could also sign is he was hurt and where.
    I HIGHLY recommend it and have started teaching my daughter (who is 9 months).
    tobys.mommy

Answer by tobys.mommy at 6:07 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• WE used it. I started at 4 months with 3 signs more, thank you and please. He picked it up and was using it by about 6-7 months. WE stared to add more(eat, drink, cat) but his vocabulary built up faster. It was so awesome knowing what my child wanted with out the screaming and pointing!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:08 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• Here are some websites I refer too...
    http://www.aslpro.com
    http://www.babysignlanguage.com/dictionary
    http://mysmarthands.com/Site/Baby_Sign_Language.html
    TsMommy428

Answer by TsMommy428 at 6:08 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

tobys.mommy

Answer by tobys.mommy at 6:08 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• I don't exactly remember when I started my son, but he learned quickly, because signing was something he could do without words, which he had a really hard time with. He didn't start talking until he was two, but signing got him started. I made sure to say the words I was signing to him. I recommend aslpro.com, because it has videos of the signs. Good luck!
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 6:17 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• I did it with all 5 of mine starting around 3-5 months. They didn't sign back until 8-10 months, but picked it up really quick once they started - and they understood it before they started using it. I knew some basic sign language and if I needed a new sign for something I would just look it up on the ASL website.

Answer by missanc at 9:59 PM on Nov. 27, 2010