Sore throat, running nose, sneezing etc...need a remedy

I've searched high and low for cold/flu remedies during pregnancy, most of them involves honey and lemon, which I can not have due to gestational diabetes; I'm extremely sensitive to sugar right now, and basically had to cut out all sugar and carbs :(
Does anyone know any natural remedy that doesn't involve sugar/honey/lemons?
I've tried hot shower, and that relieves me for about 20 minutes, then its back to sniffles and sneezing. Vick's vapor rub gives me headache :(
OH, and I tried to sleep, but just can't, even propped up. Just can't breathe or get comfortable.
Anyone have any ideas?

chilchix

Asked by chilchix at 5:52 PM on Nov. 27, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Irrigate your nasal passages. There's a thing you can get (even at wal-mart) called a Neti-pot. It looks like a weird teapot with a long thin spout. What I use is one of those measuring cups with the tiny spouty-part at the side. It's slightly messy but it works well, and it means I don't have to buy the weird teapot thing.

Anyway, mix up some warm saltwater, fill the sucker up, lean over a sink, or stand in the shower, tilt your head as far to one side as you possibly can, and pour the water in through the top nostril and it will come out the bottom. Remember to breathe through your mouth. It feels weird, but doesn't hurt or anything. It's great for relieving stuffy noses for the night. If you're having trouble getting the process down, I'm sure someone has a video of it on youtube somewhere.
    meganbearden

Answer by meganbearden at 5:58 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• apple cider vinager,,drink at least 3 glass of it mixed with water of course,,if u dont like the taste,they make a pill form
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 6:30 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• i feel you im sick too , nothings working for me either!
    brookesmama0230

Answer by brookesmama0230 at 6:43 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• honey should not effect gestational diabetes--and it is the best none medication treatment--and there are a lot of studies to show honey curing type 1 diabetics-- do some research your self
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 9:28 PM on Nov. 27, 2010