GOD AND MENTAL ILLNESS

i took my 13 dd to see her pychatrist wed..she ask my dd how she was doin cause the school told the doc that she doesnt take her meds during the day cause i told her to use the power of Prayer an the name of Jesus when the audio/visual show up..
the doc told me i was wrong for telling her that..she needs to be treated with meds..she was doing well with relying on religion at 1st but after the doc told her that she seem to get worse..

Am i wrong for trying to teach her how to rely on GOD instead of meds..

ok to clear things up..i give her the meds at night cause she said she really needs it at night..i allow her to take her meds when she feels that she needs them..also i didnt say she was demon possed..it was just an example not the best i guess for some..but i think that its wrong to say that she shouldnt rely on the name of JESUS to help with audio/visual hallucenations..i feel that his name can help her thru even the worst of times..but the doc doesnt feel the same..excuse me i didnt explain it like i should have..that my fault..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:16 PM on Nov. 27, 2010 in Religious Debate

• Anonymous: So the audio and visual that she sees are into the demonic realm? She is having visions and dreams of these things?
    I highly suggest you pray for your daughter to be rid of the spirit of fear. That is why she is having these things. Fear is triggering it. That is the root of Schizenphrenia as well its fear... an overwhelming fear and guess what the demon of fear is all mouth and no legs or feet... he just screams stuff or speaks stuff all the time.
    Continue the meds but also ask the Lord to replace fear with peace and a calm spirit.
    I truly want to know exactly how you pray for your daughter. It is important that I get an answer on this.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 4:10 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• She has hallucinations and you want her to pray them away? It isn't going to work. Depending on her condition she may need to be on meds for the rest of her life. It is just part of life for some. We are not perfect.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 6:20 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• Oh my. She's just a little kid! You can pray until the cows come home,it isn't going to cure a mental illness! If you start talking like this IRL,CPS is likely to swoop in and take her away from you.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:26 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• Are you a doctor? If not, listen to what her doctor is saying.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 6:19 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• Remember the story of a flood and a man was trapped on his roof?? He prayed to God to save him. A few minutes later a boat comes by and he refuses to get into it saying God will help me. A helicopter comes by and he refuses to get on it saying God will help me. Well he dies and asks God why he didn't help him. God says I sent a boat and a helicopter what more did you want?? God has sent help in the form of a medication to your daughter. Now granted man had to make it, but if it works, it is by the grace of God. So if it helps her let her have it. God sent it to her to use so let her use it. Nothing wrong with spiritual help, but don't be so blind you cannot see the help when it is sent.
    Anonymous

• Yes, I would have to say you're wrong. Relying on God is one thing, but refusing to treat a medical condition is another. Mental illness can be deadly if left untreated. Now, there are many times other treatments out there than medications, and if you would choose to explore them more power to you, but simply telling her to stop her meds and "rely on God" can not only cause her a good amount of damage but could put her and those around her in danger... God or not, why would you want to risk her safety? Do you think God will help her less if she's on meds or something??

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:24 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• I seriously doubt that if your child has been diagnosed with a mental illness which is usually caused physically by glands producing either too much or not enough of something or other, that she is possessed by a demon. If she has been DIAGNOSED with a CONDITION, the meds will help her on a chemical/physical level, while prayer will help her come to terms with her condition on a spiritual and emotional level.
    meganbearden

Answer by meganbearden at 6:32 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• I agree with the doctor.  I think you are being extremely irresponsible and your daughter is the one who will suffer.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 6:50 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• If she was diabetic, would you be encouraging her to pray rather than taking insulin? Mental illness is every bit as much an illness. Illness is not caused by 'lack of faith.' Meds for psychosis need to be taken at regular intervals. There is no reason why she can't pray for strength (if that is her belief) AND take meds as prescribed. One is not exclusive of the other. To alter the doses of her medication is irresponsible to say the least... you're not a doctor. All that you are doing by not giving the medications as prescribed is to further throw off her brain chemistry. By all means, pray for her all you want. But don't interfere with medical treatment in order to do so.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 8:44 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• Yes,that's not the right thing to do.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:18 PM on Nov. 27, 2010