What are some fun homemade Christmas gift ideas?

We're really short on money this year, and just need some cool homemade/non-expensive gift ideas for family members.

dohrmom_2010

Asked by dohrmom_2010 at 6:20 PM on Nov. 27, 2010 in Holidays

• Since we know so many children, I've decided this year to paint t-shirts. I'll buy plain white tees at walmart, or mardens if I can get there...and paint the children's names on the backs, and maybe something I know the child will like on the front, using fabric paints. Good luck!
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 6:22 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• a Platter of home made cookies (target has Christmas platters for like 5 bucks). Bake a few different kinds of cookies and arrange them on a platter. You can also make soup in a jar (or some other things like brownie mixes) just google soup in a jar. Then buy mason jars and a little bit of material for the tops and you've got a cute gift!
    Candy wreaths are great idea for your kids teachers!
    OBImomma

Answer by OBImomma at 6:23 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• Those are really nifty ideas! Thanks!! :)
    dohrmom_2010

Comment by dohrmom_2010 (original poster) at 6:25 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• I love those mason jar gift ideas, there are a ton of them! Bath salts, soups, cookie mixes, chili mix. And I have also loved to use a hard cardboard or light weight wooden box and decorate it. I made a round hat-box one and painted it black and put decals and stuff on it for my son to keep his skateboard tools and extra wheels etc in it. He LOVED it!
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 6:29 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• easy to make some homemade heating pads or scented sachets! You just need some good sturdy fabric, sew it up till you have a pocket and stuff it with rice for a heating pad, or some dried herbs like lavendar or chamomile for a scented sachet! I make heating pads with rice and lavender.Guys might appreciate the heating pad more than sachet lol. You could also buy the cheap $1 tins at the dollar tree and bake some made-from-scratch cookies or with ribbon and festive fabric fill a mason jar with the dried ingredients so the person you're giving it to can make it themselves!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 6:42 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• If you're into sewing, rice bags.

Pick up some cheap cotton fabric, make a bag stuffed with rice. I embroider peoples' names on them as well. Anyway, they're great to heat up in the microwave for 30 seconds and put either at the foot of the bed under the sheets to keep feet warm, or hang them over your shoulders to relax the neck/shoulders.

meganbearden

Answer by meganbearden at 6:49 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• We made gumball machines at my daughter's birthday party (using clay pots and glass bowls, and paint) and 3 moms liked them so much they made them for Christmas gifts.
    DivaDynamite

Answer by DivaDynamite at 11:47 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• I make pillows from flannel,pretty pillows cases,crochet scarfs and hats.little drawstring bags,with little gifts inside.take sock footies and fill them up with candy.and have a nice suprize in the bottom of them.may a gift card ar a nice piece of jewerly
    coloredribbons

Answer by coloredribbons at 1:38 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• THE KIDS LIKE TO GET THE CLEAR CHRISTMAS BALLS AND PUT LITTLE DROPS OF PAINT IN THEM AND SWIRL THEM AROUND AND GIVE THEM OUT AT CHRISTMAS MORNING FROM THE TREE TO FREINDS AND FAMILY, WE EVEN GIVE SOME OUT AT OUR CHRISTMAS PARTY ALONG WITH DECORATION BEFORE HANDING THEM OUT.
    carrielynn78

Answer by carrielynn78 at 3:29 AM on Nov. 28, 2010