Do you believe in demons..

and/or the devil coming into us and giving us mental illness because we're not praying to Jesus enough?
Can prayer banish mental ilness like schizophrenia or bipolar disorder?
Or are you of the belief that mental illness is caused by chemical imbalances and/or brain injury?

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 6:35 PM on Nov. 27, 2010 in Religious Debate

• No,I don't. Mental illness is either genetic ( a family genetic inherited trait) or due to a head injurty or toxins in the environment. Or no known cause. But....No Demons. :-)
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 10:50 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• Mental illness caused by demons? I'm sorry but that's hilarious!
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 6:40 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• I understand why people thought that hundreds (thousands) of years ago, because nothing could prove differently. But now? It's laughable.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 6:41 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• I suffer from depression and I believe that it's caused by a chemical imbalance in my brain.

I do not believe the devil or demons play a role in my depression.

The body is our shell. Once we die, our spirit is relieved of any kind of mental illness and disability.

Anonymous

• I believe in God and demons. I do not think they cause mental illnesses. I have bipolar disorder and since you can't serve 2 masters at once, it can't be the work of demons. I have a chemical imbalance. I haven't even tried "praying it away" because there is a reason I have it. It is well managed and I am wonderfully creative. Some of the world's greatest people had bipolar disorder. I have seen miracles though so if God really wanted me to be "normal" I know He could.
    TaraK.

Answer by TaraK. at 6:44 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• No.
    No.
    Yes.
    beeky

Answer by beeky at 6:57 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• Do I believe in demons? Yes, not in the Christian sense, but yes. However I don't believe there is a devil or that demons cause mental illness of any kind. As a person who suffers with mental illness and grew up in a family full of mental illness I know from experience that there is not only nothing unnatural but nothing evil about mental illness. As with any other illness it is just that - illness... Not weakness, not infection (spiritually) and not something which has anything to do with the supernatural, lack of faith or evil entities... Illnesses are illnesses, be they caused by genetic abnormalities, viruses, chemical imbalances or something else, they are NOT caused by evil, just nature.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:18 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• No. I don't believe in God or demons. So I don't believe that they gave us mental illness like that.
    No, prayer cannot banish mental illness.
    Yes, mental illnesses are a real disease that need to be treated as such.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 6:39 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• I seen the question where you probably got the idea to ask this question and I just had to shake my head.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 6:50 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• and/or the devil coming into us and giving us mental illness because we're not praying to Jesus enough?
    No
    ...No
    Yes and messing with meds for even a day can cause problems

charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 7:37 PM on Nov. 27, 2010