Why the Santa Debate..

I was curious why some people on here get so upset when they find out that others are raising their children to believe in Santa? Is it because of false hope? Lying to your children? What?

I will add that I grew up believing in Santa and in my personal experience it made Christmas that much more magical for my brother/sisters and I. And I will share the magic/joy with my children as well.

TsMommy428

Asked by TsMommy428 at 6:46 PM on Nov. 27, 2010 in Holidays

• I don't see anything wrong w/ having chidlren believe in Santa. With all that's going on in the world 2-day, kidz need something positive & fun 2 believe in 2 make their childhood much nicer.

NubianQueen78

Answer by NubianQueen78 at 6:54 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• I was raised to believe in Santa and no I was not scarred and we are raising our kids the same. I really don't particiopate in any debates because this is my opinion and what we choose to do.
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 10:25 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• I think we all look out for our children, so whether it be letting them believe in santa or not believing. For me and my family, we do the santa thing! I am teaching my son about the birth of Christ and that is what we are season is about. However, in a world that is less than glamourous, I would like my son to be innocent and believe that people are good for as long as possible. Santa is good, my sons favorite characters Buzz, Woody, and Mickey Mouse are good too. When he goes to Disney he is so excited to meet them. Yes eventually he will get older and realize that they are not real, but I am not in a hurry for him to grow up.
    Amellor1

Answer by Amellor1 at 10:58 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• Some people don't feel creativity or imagination are important, I guess.
    DivaDynamite

Answer by DivaDynamite at 11:46 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• Not my personal belief at all, but: Some people believe that it takes away from the "true meaning of the season" which is the "birth of Christ."
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 6:47 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• We don't do the Santa thing because I remember feeling like my mom played me for a fool all those years for having me believe.
    my son has autism and he never believed in any of that anyway. No tooth fairy,Easter bunny.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:50 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• I don't know why anyone would choose to do the Santa thing, but I don't care if they do. It's just not something we believe in doing. My DH and I were both always told the truth about Santa, from little up and neither of us feel as if we missed anything... My children get not one but three holidays, and Santa would only apply to one of them. So since we impress that our gifts for the other two come from mom or grandma, I think the belief that Santa brings gifts rather than Daddy would kinda diminish the family connection on that day.

In addition we feel strongly that we should ALWAYS lead by example. We strive to impress on our children that if it's not true, it's a lie, and that lies should ONLY be told in an effort to protect someone from danger, and never in order to get out of trouble or for fun. So we feel that telling them something we know to be false just for fun would discredit that teaching.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:49 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• Now, all that said, I couldn't care less if someone else chooses to tell their kids about Santa... HOWEVER, if you choose to tell your children something you know isn't true, and they bust you - don't log on to Cafemom and cry about it or ask "is it time to come clean?" 100 times until you get someone who will tell you NO...

If you want to tell your kids this stuff, great, more power to you, but if you ASK my opinion - You're going to get it...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:51 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• I don't really do santa. But at the sametime I don't care if my mom puts things like 'from santa' on the gifts to the kids. Sometimes I think people go over board on weather or not they want there kids to believe. I say lets just lt our kids have fun and leave it at that.
    Apple_Pie2010

Answer by Apple_Pie2010 at 8:24 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• I don't do Santa bc its all bullshit. It used to be Father Winter & what he brought was the change of seasons. Now its turned into stores setting up their xmas stuff before Halloween for X sakes!!!! The true meaning of the season is NOT THE BIRTH OF CHRIST, it has been repeatedly proven there was no way Jesus was born this time of year. When the Christians took over the world they changed existing Pagan celebrations such as Yule & twisted them into what we now celebrate. Those that argue differently don't know history.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 8:08 PM on Nov. 27, 2010