I feel guilty for being more attached to my husband's parents than my own.

I love my parents, don't get me wrong. It's just that I've had a very "fend for yourself" sort of family all my life. My mom always had her own things going on, and me and my brothers were left to our own devices for the majority of the time. My dad was military and either overseas or just plain working for most of my childhood and adult life this far.

Since moving out, I've lived between 3-8 hours away from my parents at any given time, I've tried to visit them as often as I can, but they very, very rarely have made the effort to come and see me.

My husband's family is so much more reliable and inclusive than mine. His mother and I love doing things together, and I find that I feel so much closer with his parents than I ever did with mine. Am I wrong?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:03 PM on Nov. 27, 2010 in Relationships

• Nope! definitely not wrong.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 7:06 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• No, I am the same way.
    Mipsy

Answer by Mipsy at 7:07 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• Nope. I'm the same way.
    sweetpea1217

Answer by sweetpea1217 at 7:08 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• No, it isn't wrong. Don't feel guilty. Enjoy the different realtionships you have for what they are. You can accept each person for who they are and know your time with each is just different.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:08 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• Nope. I'm the same way.
    sweetpea1217

Answer by sweetpea1217 at 7:09 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• nope...I do not feel the least bit guilty for wanting to be with my Inlaws more than my own heartless and cruel family.
    4_28_bbboy

Answer by 4_28_bbboy at 7:09 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• no its not wrong, theyre your family now too. enjoy it
    meagan678

Answer by meagan678 at 7:15 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• No - love your family for who they are, you are not going to change them. You are so lucky to have married into such a wonderful family and they are equally lucky thier son was smart enough to snap you up. Enjoy - I admit I am jealous of you for your mother in law. Learn from her and hopefully you will have the same relationship with the people your children marry.
    mrsljamieson

Answer by mrsljamieson at 7:16 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• I agree with you OP. I am the same way!
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 8:21 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• No way. It's great that you're close to them. It sounds like they are filling a void left by your parents.
    spamica

Answer by spamica at 8:29 PM on Nov. 27, 2010