My 16 yr old daughter decided she wanted to live with my mom about 6 months ago ...things are not going well for her now and she wants to come home...how do I do this so it will last?

eeyore0031

Asked by eeyore0031 at 7:15 PM on Nov. 27, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• What was the issue that sent her to your mom?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:16 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• our apartment is messy, I have a slob problem
    eeyore0031

Comment by eeyore0031 (original poster) at 7:17 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• Be supportive of her. If she realizes that you're her mother, and will love and support her no matter what, and that you will be there for her when she needs someone, then there's nothing else you will need to do.
    meganbearden

Answer by meganbearden at 7:17 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• I tried that, she feels guilty about her grandma, grandma is putting a huge guilt trip on her like she used to do with me when I was a kid, I worry for her
    eeyore0031

Comment by eeyore0031 (original poster) at 7:19 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• Now that she see's the grass isn't always greener she wants to come home? Make sure you set plenty of ground rules before letting her move back in. Kids today have WAY more than we did growing up & so many new laws are forcing kids to grow up too fast. GL.
    405mom

Answer by 405mom at 7:19 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• Sit down with her and go over what the rules of the house will be. Write them down and post them. Discuss what the consequences will be if she does not follow through. Ask her what she thinks some of the consequences should be. She might surprise you with her answers. Give this plenty of thought so you know what you want to accomplish before sitting down with her.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:19 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• You have a slob problem - then get off your butt and clean the place. Create places where she can feel clean and safe. And remind her that she can help clean also. Everyone that lives in the dwelling should be responsible for cleaning it up.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 7:21 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• Sit down with her and go over what the rules of the house will be. Write them down and post them. <<--- that includes the rules you will follow as well... like cleaning. The rules have to apply to ALL that lives together, not just one!!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 7:27 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• I'm with 405mom and many of the others. Set your rules and then let her come back. Good chance that she'll value her home now.
    charlottej

Answer by charlottej at 7:29 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• it gets very hard for me to make room, I am in a 1 bedroom apt and she has the bedroom...don't know where to put things...plus I also don't want to have to start all over again...yes im messy, I know I need to clean up..its very overwhelming after everything else
    eeyore0031

Comment by eeyore0031 (original poster) at 7:30 PM on Nov. 27, 2010