For mom's who were alcoholics or have dealt with someone who was?

I recently have been going through a very rough patch and turned to alcohol for comfort. ( Not smart I know)
Anyways I decided I wanted to quit drinking and I went to a detox facility... I really want to stay away from it however I am around it at work 24/7... ( I am a promoter)
Does anyone have any advice because it would be greatly appreciated!

I must say though I feel 10x happier, I love being able to remember things, feel like myself and feel energized and when I suddenly stopped drinking it almost killed me, I just guess I need encouragement... Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:54 PM on Nov. 27, 2010 in Health

• Find a new job? Having that temptation around you 24-7 when you are so new into your sobriety is not good. Other than that (because finding a new job is not always an option), just remember how horrible alcohol makes you.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 7:56 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• Work your program, use AA for what it's there for. Imagine taking a sip of alcohol is like strangling your kid. A life w/ out you bc you're locked up for a DUI is just as bad as death for a kid. Hang in there you can do it! Reach out to those around you for support & start looking for a different job.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 7:57 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• First, Congratulations and I wish you the very best in staying sober. Second, if you find you are being tempted to often you may need to find a new job. I know that is easier said than done. Are you going to your meetings and have you discussed this with your sponsor? Both can be a huge help in staying sober.
    CorrinaWithrow

Answer by CorrinaWithrow at 8:00 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• I am the child of alcoholic parents. God Bless you for your current sobriety and my prayers are with you.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 8:04 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• I use to drink like crazy until around the time i got pregnant with my daughter. I'm sure a lot of people would have classified me as an alcoholic.. (although I wasn't a go to work drunk, or drive drunk kinda person). I guess I was a responsible drunk, lol. If you can have those kind. Anyways, being pregnant 8months along with my daughter, on my way to work, and having a drunk driver blow through a stop sign and causing an accident is what really did it for me. Between being scared that me and my unborn child almost died, and my kid, I just pretty much cut out alcohol. (I'm not saying I haven't had one or two once every few months during special occations, but that's literally about it, and ALWAYS have a DD, even if I just have a sip of ONE drink).
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 8:09 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• Congratulations for taking the first step. I'm a recovering alcoholic and I've been sober for four years come 01/01/11. Now as far as your job is concerned...unfortunately, there is no good news there because one of the first things you need to do is stay away from the people, places and things that contribute to you disease. Compare it to having radiation poisoning and going to work at a nuclear power plant every day. I didn't understand if you already went into detox or are you going into detox? Anyhow, all this will be explained once you do and once you start doing your 90 in 90. Again, congratulations and good luck. If you need anything, send me a message.
    ShouldHaveLeft

Answer by ShouldHaveLeft at 8:09 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• I already did the detox... the problem with finding another job is that I own and run the company.... I know I can say no because I am terrified to go through what I went through again... I never drove drunk or anything just wanted to be a better mother and person, and I know I need to learn to deal with my problems other than turning to booze
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:32 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• it's going to be hard in your line of work, but you have to keep strong. i quit smoking while preggers, i was working at a casino, where people could smoke whenever and where ever they wanted. it was rough. BUT... when i got an urge i would take a break and find a place away from smokers
    asil

Answer by asil at 9:59 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• you are your own worse enemy,no one can make you drink,you have a choice,take a good looki at people when they are really drunk,and you are really sober,Life is rough sometimes but ,drinking is not the answer.my twin brother is dead because of drinking I have one sister left,we do not drink,.my mother didn,t drink,my dad drank and two brothers and and older sister.hang around people who like life.
    coloredribbons

Answer by coloredribbons at 1:24 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• Since you own the company is there a way you can refigure your responsiblitites so that you can avoid exposure. Maybe you could hire someone to do the promoting and you could do more office/paper work. If you have to continue with what you currently do then always make yourself accountable. Have someone with you when you have an open container and don't keep portions of open containers, pour it out. That doesn't make much business sense but if you go back to drinking you won't have any business at all anyway most likely. It is hard to give up something you love but changing your mind set can have a lot of power.
    t3dragonflies

Answer by t3dragonflies at 8:01 AM on Nov. 28, 2010