Is it normal for my 2year old son to be so destructive and rough?

My two year old son throws everything! especially at the cats! we tell him no and tell him he will break his toys or hurt the cats or someone else and we even give him time outs but he just pouts and then he goes back to the behavior. He body slams whoever is laying down and just a few minutes he did a drop kick into my dads face..... I hate always having to yell at him and punish him but it seems like he is always doing something destructive. he throws his one little chair, blocks, large cars to small cars, and anything else. Is it normal 2 year old behavior?

8firsttimemom8

Asked by 8firsttimemom8 at 8:23 PM on Nov. 27, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My daughter did basically the same thing.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 8:24 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• yes but to some extent... hurting others is not acceptable and he should be in time out till he says sorry to that person / animal otherwise yes they are a handfull i have 3yr old twin boys they get pretty rough... yelling does not really help because then all the y do is yell
    miritrose

Answer by miritrose at 8:28 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• Is he getting enough one on one time with you and your SO? Plus praise when he does things right? Lots of times kids go for the negative attention when they do not get enough positive attention.
    Make sure you are doing the time outs correctly. Lots of parent give up on time out because the child has to be returned to the spot/chair many times before they understand Stay calm and don't talk other then to tell him the first time. Google Supernanny or "time out technique" for details.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:28 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• My nephew was the same way, according to my brother and sister-in-law. I took him for a week and he was fine for me. Granted, I love children and have always wanted a boy. I kept him busy-- we baked cookies, had a food fight with the dough (a kitchen is easily enough cleaned), dug up my garden looking for worms and other critters, went to the park, played tag, went to the humane society to socialize some of the dogs, etc. I'm a VERY get-up-and-go person.

I'm excited to be taking him again for a few days soon. There's snow out now so there will be snowball fights, snow angels, snowmen, all sorts of fun outdoor stuff to wear him out.
    meganbearden

Answer by meganbearden at 8:32 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• Uhm sounds like normal to me my ds is 4 and is still doing it.... he had definitely improved since he turned 4 ...but still a little rough houser... and my poor cats they love when he's out... for the physically hurting someone/thing you have to be persistent time out in a dark, quite room NO LIGHTS NO GAMES NO TOYS I did the bathroom which is pitch black when I turn the lights off- and time out for 2 minutes starts when its quiet--now I can take stuff away from my son as punishment and so I"m starting to make headway on the 'other then' hurtful behavior as well-- so he knows jumping at my face- means no DS..do it again and no swim class, and again?now your in you room for the day NO FUN all work...I have been told by other Moms this is normal boy behavior and it will pass completely soon..one of whom her 2 boys are now pre med students who were exactly like my son is today when they were young
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 8:32 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• yes this is normal. he is learning how to assert himself and figuring out his boundaries. Have you tried making him apologize when he does it? try a modified timeout like having him stand on the wall with his nose touching instead of sitting. be stearn and consistant.
    Tfor2

Answer by Tfor2 at 9:01 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• My DS does this kind of stuff a lot too. He gets time outs for anything that might hurt someone like hitting, biting, or throwing things. I also redirect him to things that are ok to throw if he just feels compelled to throw things. We wrestle, tickle, and generally rough house a little bit too, but we try to be clear if something is too rough.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 9:43 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• My son hit that stage too................... he learnt some of it from other kids and Dad's boxing shows
    Chantalg12

Answer by Chantalg12 at 12:32 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• I think its a boy thing.
    shay33069

Answer by shay33069 at 11:17 AM on Nov. 28, 2010