What have you found to be the best way of dealing with poop smeared on walls?

Both the cleaning of the actual physical poop, and correcting the behavior.

My son is 3 years old and has started doing this when he poops during his nap. It doesn't seem to be any kind of act of rebellion; it's more like he sticks his hand in his diaper to scratch or investigate or something, gets poop on his fingers, and then wipes it off on whatever's handy. He refuses to potty train yet, probably due, at least in part, to his speech problems, which affect his communication.

DragonRiderMD

Asked by DragonRiderMD at 8:32 PM on Nov. 27, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Well onsies solved the taking the diaper off for us... at 3 maybe some one piece pj's with the zipper safety pinned up.

As far as getting it off I found that hot water on a rag followed by a mr. clean magic eraser worked well. Sometimes my greenworks all surface cleaner if it is dried on really bad.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:52 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• both of my children did this and it drove me crazy, except mine also wiped it all over themselves also...I used lysol disinfecting wipes to clean the walls and they each got lukewarm showers to wash it of them and it only happened twice with each of them and they quit....they were both actively potty training shortly after these episodes so maybe it will be a sign he will be ready to potty train soon...good luck
    saydeejo

Answer by saydeejo at 8:49 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• hmmm, niether of my girls didthat... but here's a bump!
    asil

Answer by asil at 9:46 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• I wanted to add that we have been known to safety pin two piece pj's together for the night.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:18 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• thankfully I've never had to deal with this, maybe try to pin his clothes shut so he can't get to his diaper
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 6:41 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• I have no idea, I never had that problem. Good luck.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 8:07 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• Maybe put him in a onsies or footie pjs so he can't get his hand in there.
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 9:01 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I had this same problem and the only solution I found was like the other mommas said, make it impossible for them to get the diaper off. I went to the thrift store and got several of those zip up sleepers and I'd put them on my daughter inside out so she couldn't get to the zipper.
    team_stewart

Answer by team_stewart at 11:16 PM on Dec. 1, 2010