The dreaded topic of - written thank you notes.

Do you require, encourage your children to write thank you notes for gifts they have received birthday / christmas? Everyone, nobody or special few like grandparents?

mrsljamieson

Asked by mrsljamieson at 8:42 PM on Nov. 27, 2010 in General Parenting

• I agree with JLS2388, we send them out for the gifts we did not reciprocate or if a gift was mailed to us instead of given in person (in which case thank yous are exchanged with the gifts). When my girls get little things in the mail from my mom they will call to say thank you, but for holiday gifts (Christmas and birthday) we send the cards.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:49 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• I come from a very Southern family, manners matter.I feel that anytime you are given a gift and you arent' giving a gift you you sent a thank you note. For times like Christmas, I think you should only send a thank you if someone gets you something and you didn't get them anything. My daughter is 3 and I am teaching her to do the same. It does take a little time but it took the other person time and money to buy the gift, if you can't so apprication then don't except the gift. However, andria 82, it is not you MIL's place to judge what you do.
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 9:43 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• No I don't but I like this idea :)
    bhoward87

Answer by bhoward87 at 8:45 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• no we just make 2 phone calls for all the gifts that we get. the first call is when we get the boxes that get mailed to us we call to say we got them and when they get opened we make another call and say our thank yous for all of the gifts we got from everyone.
    macks_mommy

Answer by macks_mommy at 8:58 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• We just had a huge fight with my futurer MIL over this. Even called my DF a f*n idiot and everything for not getting cards out asap. My son has never ever sent ty cards to any of my family. But my DF and I just had our DD and the Future MIL was furious. Apparenlty she doesn't remember how crazy life is with a new born and a 5 year old you started Kindergarten the day after bringind DD home from hospital. I think that a phone call should be more than enough but wa very wrong and now I'm on the family shit list...
    andria82

Answer by andria82 at 9:31 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• We were always required to write thank you notes for EVERYTHING growing up. I hated it then and don't do it now. I see it as completely unnecessary and a waste of paper. If someone SENDS you a gift, call them and make sure you thank them, but I see thank you notes for everything you get from every person as not only a wasted piece of paper but also an unneeded practice. A simple phone call to say thanks is more than enough. But if someone is actually there and gives you something there is no need for a note or call, you can tell them thanks at the moment you open it... So while I do encourage the giving of thanks, I discourage the idea of Thankyou notes as they are simply a waste...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:34 PM on Nov. 27, 2010