Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

3 Bumps

difficult decision...what would you do?

A friend of mine has the Mirena IUD and recently found out that she is about 6 weeks pregnant. Obviously with the IUD she wasnt planning to have another baby but they quickly accepted it and are now faced with a decision of whether or not to remove the IUD....if removed the dr. said there is an 80-90% chance of miscarriage.....if not removed he could not give statistics but said chances of a full term pregnancy are very slim and it will most likely result in miscarriage as well and even if she does carry the baby to term or at least to a survivable gestational age there are no studies to show the effects of the hormones on the fetus. I also have Mirena and even though this is supposedly a rare incident have never thought about this but now it has me thinking about what my decision in this situation might be. would you get it out or take your chances with it in throughout the pregnancy?


Asked by Anonymous at 8:51 PM on Nov. 27, 2010 in Pregnancy

This question is closed.
Answers (14)
  • Remove it. With the device in place, not only is there risk of miscarriage, there's also risk of a baby with birth defects, etc. If the device is removed, the baby has a chance to develop properly without the additional hormones. Unfortunately it's one of those if it's meant to be it's meant to be situations. GL to you and your friend!

    Answer by BisketLiss at 8:56 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

  • remove it.

    Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:53 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

  • I don't have the Mirena, I do have the copper...3 years and it's worked for me.
    I've read it is extremely rare to get pregnant with the Mirena because of the hormones. Are they sure the IUD did dislodge at all?

    If it were me, I would have it taken out...but that's me.

    Answer by Chloesmom1126 at 8:56 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

  • I'd be worried about the IUD attaching itself to the baby or placenta in some way. I'd remove it

    Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:56 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

  • if it is still in the right place i would leave it.... if like mine did it doved i would get it taken out.. ebcause you dont want it attaching to abby or bursting the placenta.... which could be really abd for the mom too

    Answer by 2boysmommy.js at 9:12 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

  • Based on what you have said and not on any further research I would leave the iud in place and find a doctor who would treat me as high risk. I had a friend that took the pill her whole pregnancy (she had no idea she was pregnant) and the baby was fine so in my limited experience it seems like the best choice.

    Answer by But_Mommie at 8:55 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

  • it sounds like the chances are the same either way... if it were me i would take it out.

    Answer by Lynnsae at 8:58 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

  • okay upon brief research. (A pregnancy site and a message board) Seems the ideal thing is to remove it... Her doctor should be able to guide her through this decision. I wish her the best.

    Answer by But_Mommie at 8:58 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

  • I have the Mirena. I would remove the IUD if I were to get pregnant.

    Answer by Ginger0104 at 8:59 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

  • I think I would have it removed as well and I am pretty sure that is what her and her husband have decided on, the IUD is still in place and the strings are still there...she will have an ultrasound to check its placement before they are able to remove it.

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:01 PM on Nov. 27, 2010