(step parents) Has anyone had a continued relationship with their Ssons or Sdaughters after you separated from their parent?

I was just wondering how many had a continued relationship with the child, and if anything changed with the way you feel for them or treated them after the break up.

My marriage broke up almost 2 years ago and I still have a good relationship with my step son. I still call him my step son because like my other sons he is just as much my son as them. I was in his life from the time he was 9 months old. He is now turning 12 in december.
It has been hard because in the last 2 years we have gotten to spend time with each other maybe 4 times. His father my ex husband often refuses to allow my Sson to come visit despite him asking often.

Did this happen to you or did the relationship with the child die when the relationship with the ex did.

Luckybear05

Asked by Luckybear05 at 9:18 PM on Nov. 27, 2010 in Relationships

• i'm not a step parent but my mom and her bf just broke up over 8 years and he has a daughter. She is now almost 16 and I still very much so consider her my little sister still and her mother and mom's ex are still allowing us to be apart of it. If he means that much to you try and continue the effort. What kind of relationship do you have with the biological mom? WIth us we can call her mom directly and ask to pick her up for lunch on the weekends her dad does not have her.
    andria82

Answer by andria82 at 9:24 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• well im a step child and no.. my mom and setp dad split.. he still is and always be my daddy, he was there when i was little and when it mattered.. nothing will change that, dosent matter that he didnt " make" me
    2boysmommy.js

Answer by 2boysmommy.js at 9:32 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• His mom hates me from the start, thinking i took my ex away from her and the boy, when actually they were separated for a good 6 months after she cheated. I have tried to show her that I love my (son) just as much. He still calls me mom and we talk on Facebook often. Ive heard in phone calls to his father about the children we share him tell his father that its not fair when he cant see me.

As long as he wants me to be here, I will remain in his life and he has my phone number and address. He knows without question that I love him.
    Luckybear05

Comment by Luckybear05 (original poster) at 9:45 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• i have a step son now and i think he is nice...i think the situation will all depends on you and you just to balance all things in your life for you to be a good mom to everyone not just to your own kids...
    neng999

Answer by neng999 at 9:57 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• I dont have step kids however my mom was married to my ex step dad from the time i was i think 3 or so and she divorced him when i was almost 18 i am now 26 and i still see him as a father who raised me and he is still there for me when i need him i love him like a dad and my 4 kids see him as a grandparent
    becky_barber84

Answer by becky_barber84 at 10:24 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• Yes, I have a x step son now 33 who still calls me Ma, we talk all the time. He calls me for advise. We are great friends. I raised him from the time he was 9.
    voni681

Answer by voni681 at 12:47 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• I am the step child, and I have kept in contact with my Step mom even after she and my father separated!
    Luisa621

Answer by Luisa621 at 12:03 PM on Nov. 30, 2010