Harry Potter?

I am so sick of hearing people (mostly from church) saying that Harry Potter is EVIL and watching/ reading it goes against the Bible. Some things I hear are just stupid.I am a Christian and a HUGE fan and so is my 3 year old. If anyone feels that Harry Potter is evil, please explain why (details please).

JLS2388

Asked by JLS2388 at 9:47 PM on Nov. 27, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I know.....the books are fascinating and encourage kids to read. The movies are great--the actors wonderful.
    It is imaginary, fantasy, pure entertainment and has nothing whatsoever to do with evil. I think anyone who doesn't approve of Harry Potter is either very very afraid or simply ignorant.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 9:50 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• I agree... But there are always going to be those who look for things to blame for their own flaws. When I was younger it was "Sabrina the Teenage Witch." When my gram was younger it was The Wizard of Oz... Each generation has movies or shows which the overly religious or better stated the overly guilt filled are going to target as "Evil" or "Against God." What it comes down to is if YOU are comfortable, if you don't see an issue, don't worry about what others think.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:51 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• We love Harry Potter. Just saw the first half of the last book. It was amazing. Not for small people, though.

I haven't heard a lot of anti-HP stuff. I would just ignore it. It reminds me of the fuss over the Golden Compass movie because it was written by an avowed atheist (oh not!) Read the whole trilogy, along with DH and the older kids, and it wasn't the evil thing they made it out to be. I think the herd tends to go towards what they have heard instead of investigating and thinking for themselves.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 9:53 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• i think the most important thing about harry potter is the children starts to be interested to read again and i think it depends upon the people what they think of harry potter...it fascinates really most all of the children including my teen
    neng999

Answer by neng999 at 9:53 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• i don't find HP any more evil than anything else. i simply am not entertained by them. (and yes, i'm a huge fantasy fiction fan.) i find them to be a bit sophomoric..much like the Twilight series.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:54 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• I should be clear, my 3 year old pretty much only watches the first 2 movies (sometimes the 3ird and 4th).
    JLS2388

Comment by JLS2388 (original poster) at 9:55 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• And I read the first 3 books to her
    JLS2388

Comment by JLS2388 (original poster) at 9:56 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• Yup, it's evil. See my answer on this in the other section to see why..........LOL
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 9:56 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• I LOVE both the books and the movies! I never understood why people are so threatened by something that encourages imagination and reading. I've only heard a few people say that it's wrong or say they don't let their kids read them. Most of my acquaintances read them or let their kids read them.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 9:56 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• Harry Potter books & movies are fantasy. Only adults who are practically shocked into immobility by the bogeyman would think they were evil.
    IndigoRose

Answer by IndigoRose at 10:04 PM on Nov. 27, 2010