Harry Potter

I am so sick of hearing people (mostly from church) saying that Harry Potter is EVIL and watching/ reading it goes against the Bible. Some things I hear are just stupid.I am a Christian and a HUGE fan and so is my 3 year old. If anyone feels that Harry Potter is evil, please explain why (details please)

JLS2388

Asked by JLS2388 at 9:49 PM on Nov. 27, 2010 in Religious Debate

• Having read the entire series, I do understand some of the concerns. Yes, HP is set in a world of magic. Yes, the characters are witches and wizards. But, no, I cannot become one by reading the books. The books are very clear about the fact that you either are one or you aren't. And we aren't.

The books value doing what is right over what is easy. They emphasize that our choices make us who we are. (Hmm, those sound like Christian values to me....) Scriptures are on the tombstones in Godric's Hollow. And the allegory is so blindingly clear in the 7th book that you'd have to be completely Christian-illiterate to miss it. Harry willingly 'dies' and comes back from the 'dead' to save the wizarding world. His willing sacrifice protects them from further harm. Then he defeats Voldemort permanently. Good conquers evil, as it should.

Read the books first; then complain. That's all I ask. ;)
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 11:29 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I would like to hear this too. I am a HUGE HP fan and cannot fathom why some find it "evil".

shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 9:50 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• Twilight isn't evil, it just SUCKED.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:09 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• I love Harry Potter. Yes the series gets "darker" as you near the end of it, but it's no more worse than the bible. **Spoiler Alert** by the end of Harry Potter he overcomes the Dark Lord without even raising a wand.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 6:54 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• I don't think he is evil. I think it encourages to fight against the evil we see in the world. Stars Wars had it fight of good v evil too. Both show us that evil is tempting because it gives us power, but that being 'good' is a better choice. I have no idea why some think Harry is evil.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:51 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• Harry Potter is Evil. Evilly good! I braved snow and ice to go see it for my Wedding Anniversary with my husband. We had a great time. Yup, it's definitely evil!

KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 9:55 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• Actually after reading the last book, I would say the entire Harry Potter series could be viewed from a very spiritual side; it can almost be considered a religious allegory- not a religious book, but it does have some parallels. However, you would really have to read the entire series to understand this. Also, it's a fantasy. It's pretend, and children LEARN from pretending. There have been a LOT of worse things done by people who call themselves Christians, so I think Harry Potter is pretty harmless.
    musichollie

Answer by musichollie at 9:53 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• JLS, there used to be someone on this forums that thought I was casting a " curse" on them by quoting MACBETH. it's pretty clear some people have issues, especially when they cannot tell fantasy from reality.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:02 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• Don't forget to add "The Wizard of Oz" to that list! XD
    PaganMommy04

Answer by PaganMommy04 at 11:44 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• Couldn't tell you.. I love HP.. now, Twilight is evillllllll!
    I am a crazy Pagan :)
    Kaelansmom

Answer by Kaelansmom at 10:06 PM on Nov. 27, 2010