How safe or unsafe is it to use....

a suppository on my 22 month old son who is having a lot of trouble pooping on his own? How long can I use it...how many hours or days apart should I use one?

leann74016

Asked by leann74016 at 9:51 PM on Nov. 27, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• why not try changing diet and increasing water intake?

once you start suppositorys become addicting he'll 'need' it to go
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 9:54 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• I have tried everything naturally for the past 2 weeks now...we did one when he first was constipated and it was an awful experience for him b/c he was so stopped up. His nana and papa tell me that his system just needs to be cleansed out...and to do this suppository for a week one a day. I don't know what to do? My son was regular up til now?!
    leann74016

Comment by leann74016 (original poster) at 10:09 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• You need to talk to your son's doctor before doing that. 2 weeks isn't much time for diet changes to help. Especially if this is a new thing, you really need to talk to the doctor. There could be something else going on in the poor kid's tummy that will just get worse doing things like that.
    Anonymous

• Definitely talk to his doc first. My daughter was on I think Metamucil for like two years and it worked well, but we have finally gotten to a point that high fiber cereal in the AM will do the trick for her. He may need something, but I wouldn't give it to him without a doctor's suggestion.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 11:31 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• Try taking him off of dairy for a couple days. I known it to help a few ppl's kids And talk to Doctor of course
    Chantalg12

Answer by Chantalg12 at 12:27 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• Talk to the doc first! Until then increase fiber and water. Grape Juice also may help.
    TiffanyPlew

Answer by TiffanyPlew at 9:31 AM on Nov. 29, 2010