Please be honest with me even if it hurts..

I'm sure you've heard this a million times but my husband and I are going through a rough finacial time.. We currently own a two unit building in which we've gotton behind in payments make a long story short.. I was thinking of moving into our basement temporaily and renting out the other units for income. We have three small children and the hubby is opposed to the idea stating the basement isn't condusive for a family our size. He would rather apply for a part time job which isn't a guarentee that he'd get one. What do you ladies think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:02 PM on Nov. 27, 2010 in Money & Work

• How long do you consider 'temporarily"? 6 months,a year?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:03 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• how big is the basement down stairs? I think you have to do what you feel is best for the time being and if that means living in a smaller area for a bit till you can get caught up then maybe you need to.
    Jaxsmommy09

Answer by Jaxsmommy09 at 10:04 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• Is the basement suitable for children to live in? does it have room, bathroom, kitchen?
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 10:05 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• Well I was thinking a year lease.. The basement is half of our current living space. I feel the same way but not sure how this would effect my kids. I have one in grade school and two in preschool.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:05 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• Let him apply for the job. If he doesn't get it, then you can consider a move.

Answer by Bmat at 10:06 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• That would be a hard thing to decide. i know things have to be hard but be very careful inviting strangers into your home especially with 3 LOs. Let him try and get a pt job, it will help him feel more like the providing man.
    andria82

Answer by andria82 at 10:06 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• Yes full kitchen, full bath and a very small bedroom. Mostly open space
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:06 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• Yes how is the basement? Is it liveable? Would it cost money to fix it up? Otherwise I agree with you. If you need to do it to get through this tough time til you guys are on your feet again then why not. But then again what would it take to get on your feet again?
    slmolter

Answer by slmolter at 10:07 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• Do whatever you have to, to survive in these rough times. You don't want to end up homeless!
    TawnyMarlow

Answer by TawnyMarlow at 10:07 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• I like the idea. The kids are small enough that it won't affect them negatively. If they were teens I'd hesitate but doing it now won't hurt them and will help the family financially

Answer by admckenzie at 10:07 PM on Nov. 27, 2010