TV

Do you let your baby watch tv? My DF found articles that say tv is what causes add in children. But my DD who is 2 1/2 months really wants to watch it. She is pretty sneaky about turning her head so she can see it when you aren't paying any attention. How do you feel about tv and babies

andria82

Asked by andria82 at 10:18 PM on Nov. 27, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I wouldn't and didn't put my kids in front of the tv when they were age 0 - 2, but if something was on and they toddled pass, then I wouldn't just turn the tv off, but I'd find ways to distract them, such as reading a story, playing a silly game, dancing..something...something.

It's natural for a baby to want to see the thing making the noise with the pretty colors, but I wouldn't lay her down to try to watch it unless it's for the 5 - 10 mins you are doing the tummy time to strengthen the neck and you want them to try lifting their heads :)

And be careful of all the articles...it will just make you feel less as a parent. Everything in moderation and to your judgement. Talk to other moms, ask questions as you do now.
    calliemist

Answer by calliemist at 10:41 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• TV in moderation is not bad...to much can be.....
    Truelove77

Answer by Truelove77 at 9:33 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• Moderation is the key in all things even tv. If you don't want her watching it, turn it off. My mom never allowed the tv to be on under after dinner. It helps that way to let a child find other things to do other than watch tv.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:20 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• I actually just did a huge research paper on this for my English class. The basic onclusion of my research was that allowing younger childre (two and under) to watch TV and having the TV on 24/7 as "backround noise" can be very harmful. Allowing an older toddler such as your daughter to watch an age appropriate educational program can improve language skills and school readiness.
    mommytoJames512

Answer by mommytoJames512 at 10:26 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• When my kids were babies they used to love the old Lord of the Rings movie from the 70's... When they were crying I would put them in the highchair in the living room and turn on the DVD, and they LOVED it... Some days it was the only way I got anything done...

We have never stopped out kids from watching TV, generally it's on all day... But they are active, healthy boys. I really think it's a moderation thing, there is nothing we deny our kids, but if all they were doing was sitting and watching TV and not ever playing, then we would step in... But that's just not the case... Half the time we wish they would sit and watch more, rather than running crazy all the time...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:47 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• It's important to avoid it.

Of course they express interest... but it doesn't make it wise.

The less TV the better. Not just now, but through the years!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 4:42 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• I think watching TV is great for infants, that is if it's educational and age appropriate for the child.
    luvmybgtwins

Answer by luvmybgtwins at 11:53 AM on Nov. 28, 2010