Santa??

Everyone gives me grief over not "doing" Santa in my home. I also don't tell my kids about tooth fairy, easter bunny or anything else like that. Of course my son knows who Santa is and talks about him but I remind him he is pretend like people in movies and tv. My family is really harsh on me for it and says it will ruin their imagination. Well my son is super created and even one an award in school for best imagination. The way I see it there are religions and cultures all over the world who do not introduce these ficticious people into their lives and they are not bad off. Do you promote Santa and others in your home?

andria82

Asked by andria82 at 10:21 PM on Nov. 27, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• We don't do any of that here either... And honestly, the only people that give us crap are the ones online. Neither my DH or I grew up with Santa and all that so our families don't care. And it's not really ever come up amongst our friends, but I can't imagine they would care either way. We have a couple of reasons for not doing the Santa thing, and frankly no one needs to agree... These are our kids, we have our reasons, if someone doesn't like it they don't need to come around here... We don't let it bother us.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:29 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• I'm a strong Santa advocate. As long as your kid doesn't ruin it for my kid, we don't have a problem.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 10:23 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• We have Santa, as it's an important part of Yule. I don't care if other people have Santa or not - I view it like any religious issue - keep it to yourself. Just like it's not someone's place to teach your child about Jesus, it's not your child's place to teach someone else what he believes about Santa. As long as that line isn't crossed, nobody else should care.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:13 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• I don't promote anything in my house other than manners and empathy. My kids know that Santa, the tooth fairy, God, the easter Bunny, are not real and only exist in stories.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:25 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• I love santa!!! Santa is big around our home. My husband and I want to make our son's childhood as magical as possible....just wait until we go to Disney Land!!! lol
    Conley639

Answer by Conley639 at 10:40 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• We don't do the Santa thing, either. I don't have anything against it, but it just seems silly to me. It has nothing to do with religion, since I'm an atheist. My kids are 5 and 8 and know that Santa is a fun story, but not a real person. It's never been a big deal.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 10:24 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• Yes we do celebrate all! I just LOVE the excitement in our children s faces when they see Santa! My 2 yr old ran up to Santa this past week so excited! Seeing my children that excited surely brings the joy into my heart!
    jem102675

Answer by jem102675 at 10:24 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• We do all of the above. We are faithful churchgoing Catholics. They can be used as powerful tools. They are the epitomy of "giving." They give to any and all..regardless of race, nationality, sex or anything else! We introduce ficticious people into the lives of our children all the time be it through books, games or tv. I grew up experiencing the trio and my experience was wonderfully positive. I expect my children will feel the same way
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:29 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• my 5 1/2yo knows a bit about santa, and the tooth fairy..assumedly, he learned from tv/friends. we have neither promoted or denied any of these childhood fantasies.
    sidenote: in the bank last week, he asked about some cameras that were mounted near the ceiling. i said, ''that's so they can watch you, so you'd better behave while we're in here. '' he said, ''who, santa? or the cops?'' i said, ''ehh..both.''...then he finished it off with, ''..and mrs. o'quinn.'' (his prinicipal)
    with that in mind, i'll use whatever means i can to get appropriate behavior out of him. santa, the cops, or mrs. o'quinn. :))
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:32 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• Yes, we do. We love it and see nothing wrong with stirring those wonders in our children.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 1:13 AM on Nov. 28, 2010