Has your DD/DS gotten a seizure from a fever?

We called the paramedics and went to the ER last night because this happened to DD. I just wanted to know if this was really common as the Drs and nurses kept emphasizing this fact.

DD is 3yrs. How old was your DD/DS when this happened?

simpleesr23

Asked by simpleesr23 at 10:28 PM on Nov. 27, 2010 in General Parenting

• my son had his first on his 1st birthday, and almost 1 a year since (he's 7 now). Every time he has a fever he is on watch by me and DH until he is fever free for 24 hours.
    eekenney1980

Answer by eekenney1980 at 10:32 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• My son is almost 5 now but he has had almost seven sezures his first one was when he was alittle over one and it is common they say they will be okay he hasnt had one in almost two yrs so i hope it is done but if need anymore info just ask willing to help
    nitamae86

Answer by nitamae86 at 10:32 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• Not to DD, but it happened to me when I was 5 years old. I had a fever of 104, and I pretty much spent the night in a tub of cool water. I'm a nursing student, & this actually is more common than you'd think. Little ones' bodies just don't regulate temperature all that well! But almost all of them are fine afterwards. Hugs, sorry you had to go through that scare!
    KA91

Answer by KA91 at 10:33 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• it has not happened to my own kids but i know quite a few that have dealt with it. febrile seizures are not uncommon. but supposedly now that your child has had one she will be more prone to them when she gets sick and has a fever.
    annanonnymommy

Answer by annanonnymommy at 10:37 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• Many years ago my DD had a couple, she is now 30, we just learned to be very vigilant when she showed signs of developing a fever. The first time it happened she bit her lip and drew blood, scared us almost to death, but eveything came out just fine and she out grew them.
    emptynstr

Answer by emptynstr at 10:38 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• Thanks. This really came all of a sudden. She was fine and I think the fever just crept up way to fast because it literally was a change in about 10mins. She was shaking so bad and kept saying she was cold as she held the covers tighter, but she was boiling hot. In the car ride I felt her cool down a lot but when we got to the hospital she was at 103 (and this was after 1tspn of Motrin)...I am guessing she was at least 105 because she was a lot hotter when the paramedics got their. She is doing pretty good today and she's not refusing to eat or drink which is fabulous.
    simpleesr23

Comment by simpleesr23 (original poster) at 10:38 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• Yes! My youngest used to get seizures with a high fever! She was two the first time it happened, scared the crap right out of me! Docs told me it was fairly common too. She only had them if the fever went really high really fast. She eventually outgrew them. But I hear you, it's frightening!
    raynestar

Answer by raynestar at 1:16 AM on Nov. 28, 2010