Gallbladder surgery? Anyone had it? Before and after, help!

I have had intense pain in my middle and upper stomach, right under my breast. To me it is like a bloated feeling right underneath my chest and OMG, it hurts like hell. There is no position I can get into that it hurts less. I end up hyperventilating (seems like, for me, that is the only relief I can come close to and believe me it doesn't really relieve anything at all. I sweat so bad that the back of my hair is soaking wet and after that then I have the chills, Big time. It takes so very much out of me! That is the short version too.

I went to the doctor again and this time he said that he wanted me to have a Gallbladder Ultrasound. I did and that same day I got a call back, the lady told me that I have Gallstones. Two large ones and several multiple one close by, plus something like scratching on the inside because of the gallstones. She's talking about have Gallbladder surgery done on me. So I did some resurch on this and I am not like what I am finding. Some still have the pain and so many seem to have to RUN to the bathroom right after they eat. I seriously do not want to live my life that way!! However, anyone that has any idea as to what I am talking about, please, help me by telling me your story. I want as much info before I have to see the doc. Man, I hate my life... when it rains, it pores.

Help!!

**UPDATE**

I had the surgery and it wasn't that bad at all. The stones were so big that an extra insizion had to be made. I do beleive that the worse part of it all is the gas they use during the surgery. It stays in your body for a period of time and that is uncomfortable.

Thank you very much for all of the input ladies.

Much love,

Cat

MomlovesRed

Asked by MomlovesRed at 10:37 PM on Nov. 27, 2010 in Health

• Well i was pregnant when i had my first gullbladder attack i didin't know what it wuz but yes i was in BAD pain so and i thought i was going into labor well a friend of my mom had taken me in cuz i was living in a different town at the time than my mom and i had went to the doctor and they said they won't be able to do surgery until i hav my baby, they gave me vicodin and sent me home. I still had attacks and they just kept giving me viks and telling me watch what i eat (greesy) food bring on the pain worse. well i finally had my son an emergency c section due to getting induced and the induction didn't have any effect on me and a few days later i had another attack well they finally told me they were going to take it out well after they did the surgery. well i felt sick still well here the doctor came in and told me some of the stones fell into my liver duct and they had to do another surgery.i cant write ne more
    In_need4_advice

Answer by In_need4_advice at 10:45 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• I had the similar symptoms when I had gallbladder pains. It would start off with real bad cramps then I would go to the bathroom and have extreme diarrhea followed by pains shooting up all over my back and in my abdomen...they were so bad I couldn't tell where they were coming from and definitely felt worse than contractions. Then came the chills and fever. This whole "process" would last about 3-4hrs every time I had an episode.

The surgery was fast and they are advanced that they just have a very small incision by your belly button and 3 where your liver is located. They look like little lines not scars. Also, I do have some minor pain but that only happens when I eat extremely greasy/fried/fattening food but ever since I had my gallbladder removed I have drastically changed my diet....I also feel that pain in my liver when I get extremely mad. I have not had any problems with running directly to the bathroom after eating.
    simpleesr23

Answer by simpleesr23 at 10:47 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• I got my gallbladder taken out when I was 16 -__- It was an adjustment afterwards because I wasn't able to eat fried foods withough running to the bathroom. However, it's been 6 yrs and now it's not that bad, I can pretty much eat whatever I feel like eating without worrying about having to run to the bathroom. It's a lot better than dealing with the pain though!
    Dark-N-Prego

Answer by Dark-N-Prego at 11:32 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• My pains were worse when I layed down at night. It would usually keep me up most of the night, but once it didnt and continued to get worse throughout the day. I had a 4 yr old and a 4 month old. I went to ER and had the surgery done on emergency basis. I no longer have the pains.
    As far as the diarrhea, yes I do have that but I did before the surgery so I cant say that it caused it or made it worse.
    tat2dprincess

Answer by tat2dprincess at 11:33 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• My gallbladder started attacking me when I got pregnant with my 2nd child back in 2005. I had NO idea what was going on. But a trip to the ER, another dr and an ultrasound later confirmed I needed my gallbladder out. i had it done and was home the same day. the pain pills helped. i only needed them for a couple days. and 5 years later, i am able to eat whatever i want usually. sometimes pizza will give me diarrhea, but usually i can eat anything i like with no problems. if it needs to come out, it's better to do it before things get worse.
    mom2my3angels13

Answer by mom2my3angels13 at 11:40 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• Had the pains, had the surgery then all was well. Surgery was a cinch, recovery pretty quick, the only drawback is that yes, if you eat something with a really high fat content (like McDonalds vanilla milkshakes) you will need the restroom right away. At first it was annoying but once you get use to it you learn to become aware of where you are and how what you are eating is going to affect you. Sometimes it can be a good thing - I have 18 more inches of colon than normal and sometimes I'm not so regular if ya know what I mean - sorry! - and I know exactly how to solve that problem, yep, McDonalds vanilla milkshakes! It's not so bad really. Living with the pain was FAAAAAAR worse!
    raynestar

Answer by raynestar at 1:11 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• My surgery went fine, I have no pain anymore. Like the others I have to watch my fat intake or I'm in the bathroom, have never had to run to the bathroom though. I have a friend that had hers out and so did her husband, they can eat what they want with no problems.....her husband had the bathroom problem for a few months. My son had his out and after a few months he could eat what he wanted. My brother took longer, I think he had bad bathroom problems for a year then it went to just watching his fat intake.....he also had pancreatitis and was in the hospital for 3 months. I was told if I had the problem for 6 months to go back and see my surgeon, I just never went.
    tazdvl

Answer by tazdvl at 9:40 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• i ha it removed 2 mths after my oldest was born and the pain was worse then labor you need to change your diet immediately to stop the pain and the after effect is def bad for the first few months withhaving to run to the bathroom your body needs to adjust to not having the gallbladder but after diet changes and time the poop factor goes back to normal its better to get the surgery and be pain free good luck and hope you feel better
    momofalltrades

Answer by momofalltrades at 7:07 PM on Nov. 29, 2010