so my sister in law said

that i should breed and sell rabbits. she says she makes money doing it. i have never heard of doing this and have hestiation about it cause i wouldn't want to end up with a whole crap load of rabbits. anyone know anything about this?

also she said that she is going to breed silver labs. i didn't want to say anything to her then as maybe i was wrong but last i looked AKC doesn't recognize silver labs. although her dogs are AKC registered. i looked today on AKC.ORG and they still don't recognize that color. all i can imagine is that they are registered under another color and was wondering should i tell her this? or just let her find out on her own. i hate to think that she finds out later when she tries to sell her first puppy. what would you do?

melody77

Asked by melody77 at 10:37 PM on Nov. 27, 2010 in Pets

• UGH. Silver labs are a fad, that is not a recognized color. So, yes, you are right, you would not be able to provide AKC papers on a silver lab. I agree, it is a recessive gene which is often not a good thing, usually a lot of health and temperament problems associated with recessive gene breedings.

I would be doubtful that you can make much money breeding rabbits. They are easy to breed, but doubtful there are people lining up to buy rabbits when they can go to rabbit rescue or the pet stores for one.

I think these money quick schemes are not the best idea.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 2:54 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• I think you need to take your sister in law to an animal shelter on the day they kill all the unadopted puppies and dogs.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 10:55 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• Let her try and see on her own..there may be a market she knows about. I would not sell rabbits.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 11:28 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• Rabbits are a pain in the butt. They multiply wayyyyy too fast. I would read up on it before going through with it, I myself wouldn't do it. As for breeding the labs, I'd let her know because it'd be sad if she found out the hard way and all of those puppies end up n the pound :(
    Dark-N-Prego

Answer by Dark-N-Prego at 12:22 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• AKC means squat!!!!!!! Pretty much any dog can be AKC registered these days and it does not mean they are quality bred dogs. There is no such thing as a silver lab it is probably a recessive gene but she will end up being a puppy mill adding to the population of badly bred and unwanted animals.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 7:24 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• Most people who raise rabbits do so for the meat. Do you want to be selling those cute little bunnies, knowing that they're going to be slaughtered?
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 3:16 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• They smell. Don't listen to her.
    SavageGrl

Answer by SavageGrl at 11:03 PM on Nov. 28, 2010