Anyone Adults With Aspergers' or Autism?

Can you tell when a "fit" is coming on? What are your signs? If you notice one coming on what do you do to try and prevent it from going full blown?

tat2dprincess

Asked by tat2dprincess at 10:41 PM on Nov. 27, 2010 in Health

• i dont have autism, but my younger brother does, he has aspergers. we can tell, and can usually prevent it, because we pay incredibly close attention to his mood and emotional state. if he is getting flustered or even starting to withdraw, then something is upsetting him and we step in and "fix" the situation. that could mean that we leave wherever we are immediately. i cant count how many times we have had to walk out of a grocery store and leave a cart full of food. or walk out before opening presents on Christmas. but avoiding an outburst is always more important for our mental health.
    momslikeme366

Answer by momslikeme366 at 10:51 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• I thought people with Epilepsy had fits. Never heard of anyone with Autism or Aspergers having fits. Could you explain? I had an in-law with aspergers.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 10:46 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• Well thats what I call them..Im not sure of the technical term. Its not like a seizure but when you have a sensory overload and you just cant handle it anymore. In movies they portray it alot by the autistic person rocking or waving their hands by their ears.
    tat2dprincess

Comment by tat2dprincess (original poster) at 10:48 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• Yes, and yes. I can tell when I am about to have a melt down. It is horrible. I generally leave the area causing problems and listen to music on full blast because it calms me down.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 8:42 AM on Nov. 28, 2010