What do you do when your kid does not want to do their homework???

Without getting upset at them I had my dd write down a paragraph for me just any paragraph and some how down the line she lost her place and continue to write it made me mad bc I felt like she is copying and not really absorbing what she is writting so I had her do it again she threw a fit and starts to cry and cry I had to slightly raise my voice to her she just kept crying I tell her to go her room she does not want to I don't know what else to do where am I going wrong? :(

sometimes I feel like she might be crazy in her own way :/ the dumb stuff she does...aarrgg!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:48 PM on Nov. 27, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• if she doesnt' want to, don't make her and she will just get in trouble a school.
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 10:55 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• My son cannot go outside or watch tv until his homework is completed for the day. He knows that as soon as he comes home on the bus. And yes, kids can do some not-so-smart things sometimes, but arguing about completing homework is normal for all kids and doesn't in any way make her crazy.
    Sharell8710

Answer by Sharell8710 at 10:58 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• It is a parents duty to make sure their children are doing school work and push them to excel throughout their school years. I have had my son do book reports before that was for me only and not school when he missed writing down his assignments for the day or told me he didn't have homework when he really did. I think it is my duty to teach him responsibility and would never just say oh you don't have to do it and have the teacher deal with it the next day.
    Sharell8710

Answer by Sharell8710 at 11:02 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• maybe shes just tired? or need to eat? my nephew is 5 and being tired or hungry messes with his emotions and behavior BAD! my Mom always had some cheese and crackers or fruit and chips at the table for us during homework...kept our brains fed and made homework not seem like such a chore...also, we got breaks...childrens attention spans are smaller than you think and they need breaks to go do what they want for 10 or 15 min and then back to the task at hand
    mamagee1218

Answer by mamagee1218 at 11:02 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• This is why I send my child to a school that does not give homework in the traditional sense. But I always suggest to other parents to break it up. Let a child come home, snack, set the timer to play for about 40 minutes, and then work on part of the homework. Then if there is more... have dinner, do more or the rest, play, and bedtime routine. Sometimes homework is too overwhelming. Setting a timer for 10 minute increments and having them work for 10 play for 20 and keep that up. Also examining how much homework your child is getting. Children with learning difficulties may need only five math problems representing the lesson instead of 20. Children living with ADHD also may need less problems because it is more like torture. Homework should only be to reinforce a lesson learned. Anything more than that is torture for any child. 

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:04 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• It sounds like your assignment was pretty general, might have been confusing-overwhelming. It would have been for many children.
    From your description, it sounds like she was very tired.
    Have you talked with her teacher about how to best help her feel confident and motivated?

Why do you call her crazy and dumb?
    She sounds normal, but going through something hard. Try to be nurturing~
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 4:23 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• How old is she?
    Is the homework appropriate?
    Some schools don't have homework, something to consider if this is really the issue. But I would think it stems elsewhere.

~good luck~
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 4:24 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• sounds to me like she gets frustrated when she messes up....my daughter gets very frustrated with herself when she loses her place...she has difficulties with homework and school for sure....but its not dumb stuff....it's kind of like not seeing the forest for all the trees....you know when you get so frustrated, all you can see or feel is the frustration....which blocks out your ability to function and complete what you started....at that point you NEEEEED to take a break and come back to it later.....
    FXmomTo3

Answer by FXmomTo3 at 6:44 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• When my daughter was in school, many of the parents would have their kids do homework first thing when they got home. I disagreed with this, I saw it like an adult working overtime, no one likes that! They spend their whole day at school and then we have them do homework. I used to let my daughter do whatever she wanted to do after school and then she knew her homework had to be done before she went to bed. She never gave me a hard time. I don't know if this is the case with you. But if it is, you should tell her that she can have free time after school and get her homework done after. I'm sure she'll be glad to focus more on her homework after knowing that you were considerate that she had a long day at school.
    LIFO

Answer by LIFO at 6:27 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Mine sit at the table till homework is finished. If they want to sit all night instead of having fun and playing they can.
    Iamasinglemom99

Answer by Iamasinglemom99 at 5:18 PM on Dec. 7, 2010