Always fussy 3 month old, am I a bad mom?

My 3 month old son is ALWAYS fussy. He never seems to be content doing anything for more then 5-10 minutes before he is crying. He has pretty much been like this since birth with some occasional good weeks. Sometimes he screams and screams no matter what I do. What am I doing wrong?? I feel like the worst mom sometimes!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:02 PM on Nov. 27, 2010 in General Parenting

• You are a perfectly fine/ normal mom. When you have a fussy baby, of course you question yourself. My cousin's first son is just like that. Try to always be calm around him. If he's screaming and you can't take it, leave him in the crib for a few minutes and call a friend, or put on some music. This will pass. And pretty soon YOU will be saying stuff like "this TOO shall pass".
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 11:09 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• Some babies have really strong feelings and need to express them.

Put the baby in a wrap or sling and wear the baby. Babies worn on a parent sleep more, spend more time in states of quiet alertness, and have less colic. It really works.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:46 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• have had checked out for colic my daughter had this ,if so you can put on the dryer in his car seat it soothes the baby
    some times if your stress out the baby feels that ,if your calm the baby will be calm
    all new mothers think there bad mothers when it's their first but you are not get him checked out and good luck
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 12:45 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• What ecodani said plus check out his diet. milk allergy is a common cause of stomach cramping, which is common among colicky babies. And white noise! The vacuum cleaner and movement or music and movement worked for my daughter, although she rarely cried. My cousin's child, who is like yours with fussiness, did pretty well when I used the vacuum cleaner and moved around the room with him at Thanksgiving.

My favorite carrier is the Ergo. Definitely don't use a store bought one, like infantino, they suck. Slinglady.com talks about a bunch of different ones.

If you need a psychological break, try having someone else walk him around the block. And you can try that too, sometimes a change of scenery can get you both out of a funk.

You're not a bad mom, every baby is an individual, but just keep experimenting with different things to help.
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 2:54 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• Let me join the rest of the moms here on CM in giving u some words of encouragement: u are not a bad mother. There's nothing that ur doing that's wrong. Ur doing the very best u can. I know w/him seeming 2 always be unsatisfied it's playing hard on your nerves & tiring u out, so w/that said try calming urself dwn b4 handling him. & then if necessary, have dad or someone else deal w/him while u go out 4 a breather. But just remember: ur not a bad mom!

NubianQueen78

Answer by NubianQueen78 at 7:08 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• Use a sling or other carrier, and wear your baby; he just wants to be close to you.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:28 PM on Nov. 28, 2010