How do I deal with my daughter's temper tantrums? She started with them a few mos ago, and they seem to be escalating. How can I calm and ease her?

Carolyn999

Asked by Carolyn999 at 11:04 PM on Nov. 27, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I did the 1 2 3 Magic program and it works really well (most of the time) for us. There is a book for it (called 123 Magic) it is a very easy read and really helped me out. You may want to give it a shot.
    Amellor1

Answer by Amellor1 at 11:08 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• Do you do time outs? My son went through a major temper tantrum phase and I would calmly tell him to take a few minutes to calm down and I would sit him in his room. It worked and if he starts getting upset now, he goes into his room to calm down without me even telling him to. I think that works better then trying to reason with them when they are too upset to even listen to you.
    newmomma14

Answer by newmomma14 at 11:09 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• Awwwww. It can be so hard what is her age? With our 2 year old son we just try to help him talk it out. I am sure so many melt downs are because they have a very limited ability to express themselves. Good luck and big hugs!

Sarahedger

Answer by Sarahedger at 11:38 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• Tantrums come with the 2's and get worse with the 3's typically but children at those ages can and SHOULD be taught that behavior is inappropriate. I discipline my kids and their "tantrum" phase was short lived. They were told no, you behave yourself and if they threw a fit, they had discipline. One swat per yr. Asked if they were ready to obey - if so - go on playing. If not - more discipline. Didn't last long in my home. Just because kids typically do things at a certain age DOES NOT mean it should be tolerated!
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 11:49 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• A mother's hands are for loving not hitting <3

Sarahedger

Answer by Sarahedger at 12:24 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• @ newmomma14

I am going to try that too! What a great way to teach them how to control there own outbursts. I am actually excited to try that.

Sarahedger

Answer by Sarahedger at 12:26 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• I did the same as Newmomma14....................... works wonders. My 3 yo now goes to his room as soon as the tantrum starts and I say ROOM!
    Chantalg12

Answer by Chantalg12 at 12:39 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• time out. Follow through & persistance is key
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 6:38 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• I would just tell her she can throw a fit if she needs to, but that you are going to just sit and wait for it to be over, because you will not give in to screaming and crying. I think when children realize that the fits get them no where they start to learn other ways to express themselves.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 8:06 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• I'll usually tell my son "I'm sorry you're frustrated. It's ok to cry if it makes you feel better. Why don't you sit in your room til you're all done."
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 8:58 PM on Nov. 29, 2010