How much do you spend on your kids at Christmas? How much did your parents spend on you ?

We usually spend around 600-700 on each kid ( we have 2 kids) ... but my husband lost his job over the summer and we had to dig into savings so now it is 350 each for this year...

My parents would spend between $1000 - $1200 on me and my brother ( my dad had a really good job ) ... plus my grandparents would spend almost the same amount on us because they would spend christmas morning with us too...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:20 PM on Nov. 27, 2010 in Just for Fun

• We have spent about $350 on dd so far this year (she is 4) We save $40 out of every paycheck all year to give her a good Christmas because my parents could never afford more than one gift for us and it was usually about $20 per kid. (there was 5 of us)
    momofone072506

Answer by momofone072506 at 11:26 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• We don't have a set amount. We get them 3 gifts each. 1 big gift and 2 smaller gifts. I don't think its about how much money you spend but that its what they get that matters. My mom never spent much on us but we always got everything we wanted. If I spent 600.00 on each of my kids they'd have an entire toy store waiting for them on Christmas morning.
    I want them to enjoy Christmas, but I also want them to want to give and not expect the moon and the stars to always be handed to them.
    OBImomma

Answer by OBImomma at 11:30 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• Wow, I wish I could say I could even spend that much. We have a limit of about $20 for each kid (I have 2 kids). Just with how money problems are for us at the moment. But otherwise I'd have a limit of $50 per kid. But.. since my husband is unemployed it's kinda limited.
    wolverinemama

Answer by wolverinemama at 11:32 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• not sure how much my parents spent on us as kids I think around 200 a child there were 3 of us maybe 300 not to sure, but I know my grandparents use to get us so much when we were younger because at the time we were the only grandchildren now there is a lot more grandchildren so she doesn't spend as much now. I am not sure how much I spend per a child, but I have 2 things for my nephew and the rest for my girls I wrote down the prices and it is going to average out to arouond 1,300.00 or 1,400.00 for just 2 gifts for my nephew and then my girls lol. Yes they are spoiled if you have the money and it is a holdiday why not they are only going to be young for a short time.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 11:42 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• Whatever we can afford, whatever they could afford. For us it varies from year to year, how much our fall bonus is. For my folks, I know it wasn't ever a huge amount, and frequently it was just some small stocking stuff and one family gift (one year it was a super nintendo, another it was a computer). This year, by the time I'm done, I'll maybe spend $150-200 on all my kids combined - because it's what we can afford this year. Years past I've spend $20 each. We grew up knowing, and my kids are growing up knowing, the true Reason for the Season, that gifts are not the reason for Christmas - it's Jesus' birthday.
    Anonymous

• A couple hundred.. we're pretty poor!
    newmom28

Answer by newmom28 at 10:02 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• I am an only child, so my mom & dad broke the bank on me lol. With my first, I worked and bought him everything imaginable. Later we were and are less able to spend lots and two to buy for, they get two big things each and then little things. Maybe $500 for both now. And that's on a good year. But my children never feel deprived!
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 4:46 PM on Nov. 28, 2010