I faked my way through high school and now i regret it...

Ok so I need some advice...Not really sure where to start but, here it goes When i was in 8th grade I got made fun of ALL day EVERY day and after a while it got to me I stopped caring about school and just tried to "be cool" well i screwed up because now i am 25 and i feel like i have the intelligence of a 12 year old. I HATE it. I want to be smart. The way life is i can't really go back to school (at least not for about another year or so) I have tried starting to read more but, part of the problem is that i will read and its not that i don't understand what i am reading but, its hard to explain its like i am not able to discuss it...like i just look at the surface and can't go any deeper. I am trying SOOOO hard and i just feel like i am stuck...I want to be smart. I want to be able to hold conversations with adults and I don't feel like i can...what can i do

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:21 PM on Nov. 27, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Take an English Lit class at a community college. If that doesn't teach you how to analyze and look beneath the surface I don't know what will.
    Anonymous

• I am so sorry that you feel this way. :( Please understand that you are SMART and that you can learn more as you go. You might not be able to go to school right now but maybe you can spend a little time each week studying things from the computer that you feel you need to learn more about. I totally understand what you mean by looking at something but not actually soaking it in. You have to be in the right mind at the time. I have a MBA and feel like you do a lot! Praying that you will get a better self esteem and find time for personal development. :)
    cataylor

Answer by cataylor at 11:24 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• Start small. It's okay to be a little immature, we all are at one point or another in our lives.

What do you LIKE to read? What interests you? Start with articles online. Google stuff you want to know more about. Once you have mastered googling stuff you're interested in, pick up a book on a subject you're interested in and skim it. You don't have to read every word.

You'd also be surprised what you can learn reading fiction books.

You can also keep up with current events by reading news websites. They usually have short, to the point articles abou ttheir top stories on their main page. www.foxnews.com is my home page (not that I ever read it, the news is depressing lol).

The fact that you didn't write this with hundreds of misspellings and "u r 2 qt" lingo speaks volumes about your actual maturity level. Maybe you just have different interests :)
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:29 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• Also, not all people learn well by reading stuff. YouTube has tons of educational videos on there. You can rent and watch documentaries, too. Or listen to books on tape.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:30 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• Oh my goodness I feel your pain, I pray every day of my life for God to make me smarter, and so far..I'm not.. maybe the material you're choosing just isn't particularly interesting to you..keep trying to find reading material that suits you, keep reading as much as you can and don't compare yourself to other people you think are more adult than you, you're cool just the way you are, just be you, be as genuine as you can be and speak from your heart not your head and people will like you, but the most important thing is to learn to like yourself, give yourself a pat on the back for trying so hard and forgive yourself for "screwing up" you're human, you did what you did to get through a tough time.
    chocolatluver

Answer by chocolatluver at 11:37 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• Well I think part of the problem is that i read a lot but its just that i feel like i need to do this in an organized way and i don't know how to do that!!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:39 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• I am a visual learner. So when I want to learn about something I find watching documentaries very informative. And most of them are really fun to watch too. Discovery and History channels have some good ones and so does PBS.
    But I agree with what other people have said, it is probably not a matter of intelligence, more a matter of communication. I know you said you can't go to school, but what about a single communications course once or twice a week. You would also meet up with a more diverse group that may have similar interests as you.
    Amelora

Answer by Amelora at 11:42 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• some good answers here
    san78

Answer by san78 at 6:51 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• Take GED classes
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 6:55 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• Hugs to you! I'm fairly well educated....and by the way you wrote what you did, I'd have to say you could certainly carry on a conversation with me !

You mentioned you can't go back to school right NOW...but it can be a goal for you....why not think really hard about a career that interests you and research how you can work toward it....by the time you do your research and some soul searching, it'll be time to apply for college and then work toward following through with it....I did it....I didn't work for 10 years because my children were diagnosed with Autism and I wanted to work closely with them...but now that they are in full-time programming, I wanted to go back to working....but oddly enough, not in my trained field as a draftsperson...I wanted to work in the fitness and health industry...so now I'm back at college, finishing up a 2 yr program with intentions of taking another 1-year to become a nutritionist
    FXmomTo3

Answer by FXmomTo3 at 6:59 AM on Nov. 28, 2010