Braxton Hicks?

I have heard of them and my doctor has talked about them a little, but Im still a bit confused...what exactly do they feel like? My doc said you can get them as early as the 2nd trimester. Sometimes, not often though, I get this little twinge in my uterus a couple times and then it goes away. Its not exactly painful, just catches me off guard. Is this similar to or is this Braxton Hicks?

dez1379

Asked by dez1379 at 11:26 PM on Nov. 27, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I was always confused by it too lol.. But my OB when I was pregnant said it feels like menstrual cramps..
    MummaMel

Answer by MummaMel at 11:37 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• basically, your belly will tighten up for about 30 seconds or so. they can be painful. and then again, sometimes they're not. i'd never had any until my 2nd pregnancy. basically the only thing you can do to fend them off is drink a lot of water.
    mom2my3angels13

Answer by mom2my3angels13 at 11:47 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• The way my OB explained it was they are "practice contractions" and they'll feel like contractions but not have quite the same intensity. I had them, always felt a hard tightening at the top of my womb with the pressure moving downward.
    raynestar

Answer by raynestar at 1:03 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• By textbook definition you would feel BH right around mid-belly where it tightens and then relaxes.. If they are true BH they go away after drinking some water and laying on your left side.
    RyleighsMoM3505

Answer by RyleighsMoM3505 at 1:29 PM on Nov. 28, 2010