NEED HELP FIND SOLUTION TO A PROBLEM CONCERNING BREASTFEEDING

NIPPLES ARE TOO SORE TO BREASTFEED AND BABY WILL NOT LATCH ON BC HOSPITAL NURSE GAVE ME NIPPLE GARD IT MADE ME CRACKED AND SORE NOW BABY WILL NOT ACCEPT ME

brodysgram

Asked by brodysgram at 11:44 PM on Nov. 27, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• {ump some milk out, get some Lanolin cream (IT IS WONDERFUL), and MEDLA Contact nipple shields (Babies R US has them). They will protect you nipples and help baby learn to latch on correctly. My Baby did this and I called my mom in tears I hurt so bad. Pumping until I got the shields helped. I fed him with a a medicine dropper (we didn't have any bottles). After a day or 2 I felt no more pain and about 1 week later my son was nursing the right way!
    OBImomma

Answer by OBImomma at 11:50 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• Get some Lanolin nipple cream and put it on your nipples. The Lansinoh brand in the purple tube is safe for the baby to latch on without washing it off.

Work up a drop of milk onto your nipple by squeezing the ducts around the nipple. Then offer it to your baby. It will hurt less to latch on to a sore nipple with a baby than to try to pump.

It might be a hard 3 days-- but you CAN do this! You can!!

ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:51 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• I agree about the Lanolin cream. That can make a huge difference. Before you put it on, express a little bit of milk from your breast and rub it on your nipple. This will help speed up healing.
    Did your lactation consultant check your latch? It might be that your latch isn't quite right. That can cause some serious pain.
    Try to wean your baby off of the nipple shield. Start each feeding at the breast, no shield. A good latch may hurt at first, but it will feel fine very shortly. The pain will be from an aggressively sucking baby trying to stimulate your let down reflex. If she won't take your bare breast after a few minutes, go ahead and out on the shield. Eventually, she will be off of it.
    Go see a lactation consultant to have your latch checked, or go to a La Leche League meeting. It can make a world of difference!! Good luck, and keep breastfeeding, mama!!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:16 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• You could also let some milk dry on your nipples........................ breast milk works wonders!!
    Chantalg12

Answer by Chantalg12 at 12:24 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• Do you have the Medela pump from the hospital? Might try to pump and keep using the cream for your nipples after every feeding. I had the same problem. Soreness will go away, but not for a while.

trashymom

Answer by trashymom at 5:09 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• Get to an IBCLC, or a LLL meeting, or speak to/see an LLL leader. Motherlove Nipple Cream is awesome, I've only ever found it online though. You need hands on help! How old is baby? I would probably suggest only nursing, don't give baby any other option. Maybe look into a supplemental nursing system, a system of thin tubing designed to deliver formula AT the breast so baby is still nursing, and still getting something, it's sometimes helpful coaxing a baby to latch on.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:33 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• There is a breastfeeding group here that can give you support. Look under groups
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 11:28 AM on Nov. 28, 2010