Am i having contractions?

Me and my husband were sitting at eat n park waiting for dinner i started getting sharp sharp pains below my belly :( then they stopped after i moved my belly around a bit. Then they started up in my right side of my stomach. Then in my back where my kidneys are. Any idea of what this may be??? Could it be contractions??? should i go to hospital if it doesnt stop? I am 21 weeks and 2 days along.

williams81209

Asked by williams81209 at 12:15 AM on Nov. 28, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Have a glass of water and lie down. If they go away soon after, it was just Braxton Hicks contractions, which are practice contractions. If not, the. Go to L&D right away.
    Your uterus contracts throughout your pregnancy, but you may or may not always feel it. It's just toning up for the big marathon at the end. The water can help, because dehydration can bring on contractions. Dehydration leads to low amniotic fluid, which stimulates contractions. So keep hydrated, mama! Exercise, or being active can bring on contractions as well, so just listen to your body and take it easy when you need to.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:21 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• thanks :D ive went to the hospital for the same thing before and they never ever send me to l&d where i live i think i actually have to be in labor to go there. and the doctor in the er never does anything except come in and tell me that its just growing pains.
    williams81209

Comment by williams81209 (original poster) at 12:23 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• Ah, likely from the round ligament, although that wouldn't explain the pain in your back. However, back pain is very common during pregnancy, as is round ligament pain. The round ligament attaches your uterus to your labia majora (lips), and it get stretched big time during pregnancy. It can he very painful, and there isn't a ton you can do to ease it. Try a warm (not hot!!) bath, and prenatal yoga to ease it a bit.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:27 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• thanks :D
    williams81209

Comment by williams81209 (original poster) at 12:35 AM on Nov. 28, 2010