my daughter fell and got hurt on her cheek she was crying badly with her mouth open but there was no voice and suddenly she fainted, this scared me to death. I patted her at the back, grabed her by the shoulder and shake her so that she wakes up.and after 10 sec she woke up and cried loudly. I want to know why she fainted?

ritu1234

Asked by ritu1234 at 12:19 AM on Nov. 28, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I have a little one that does this all the time when she is extremely upset. It is usually when she is crying uncontrollably and does not catch her breath.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 12:21 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• its a protection , she lost her breath and her body fainted to make her breathe
    maymummy

Answer by maymummy at 12:22 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• Please don't ever shake a baby, even to wake them up. I would call your pediatrician just to double check the baby fainting.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:23 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• She probably just didn't breath but you should call your pediatrician just in case.
    TaraK.

Answer by TaraK. at 12:25 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• My son used to do that all the time.  He'd basically hold his breath while he cried and then would pass out (or come close to it).  I'd blow in his face to get him to take a breath.  That usually worked.  It's actually pretty common and normal.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:29 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• Ummm, a child passing out after falling and hitting head? Please get off Cafe Mom and get to a doctor. Sorry, but I can't be blase about it. Get your child checked out immediately.
    CarriePM

Answer by CarriePM at 12:34 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• Did you just say your SHOOK YOUR BABY?!?!? I really, REALLY hope you are some board lonely troll and didn't really do that. :(
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 12:35 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• And PLEASE don't shake a baby.
    CarriePM

Answer by CarriePM at 12:42 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• Did she hurt her head? She might had a concusion (?? spelling) but you need to see the doctor right away.
    Mamitaocupada

Answer by Mamitaocupada at 12:58 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• My friend's daughter does that and it is because he is not breathing. It is very scary. I remember when she first was telling me about it and I thought that it was unsettleing. When she asked the dr, he said she was fine she just cried so hard she couldn't catch her breath. When they came over one day she did it and it was terrifying. I hope she never does that to me if I am watching her. Hang in there.
    JamieShaffstall

Answer by JamieShaffstall at 1:03 AM on Nov. 28, 2010