Trying to Conceive, finding out

Could a woman find out by HPT that she is pregnant a week after ovulation? I know most tests need 2 weeks after ovulation..I was just wondering for mamas who tried conceiving, if they were able to test that early and get a positive.

BeanIrene1

Asked by BeanIrene1 at 12:21 AM on Nov. 28, 2010 in Pregnancy

• You would just be having implantationat that point. No pregnancy test, home or otherwise, could detect that. You need to wait 2 weeks to get an accurate result. Otherwise, you're just wasting expensive tests.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:22 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• The earliest I have ever seen anyone get a positive, and it was a faint, faint, barely there line, was 9dpo. But that means implantation occured extremely early - while it can occur anywhere from 3dpo to 15dpo, the average is 7-9dpo - and that she produced HcG very quickly - she actually wound up having twins. It is foolish and pointless to test that early. Often when people get positives that early their period comes anyway, it's called a chemical pregnancy. Sometimes they just don't stick, you know? If you know exactly when you ovulated, you need to wait 2 weeks to start testing.
    FluffyMamaBunny

Answer by FluffyMamaBunny at 2:33 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• FluffyMama- thank you for your response. Albeit, I don't think testing at any given time can ever be considered "foolish" if it helps put the mom at ease. I know all about the ovulation and all of that...was more interested I think in learning about when HCG levels start to rise, seeing as that is how a test can tell if you are or aren't. You said though in your response that 7-9dpo is average..and well that would be considered "a week after ovulation" like I asked.

Thank you though! I bet twins made her levels much higher much quicker!
    BeanIrene1

Comment by BeanIrene1 (original poster) at 1:15 PM on Nov. 28, 2010