Question about my 6 month old daughter starting solids?

My daughter just turned 6mo yesterday. We had been trying to start her on rice cereal since about 4months, but she had problems with constipation. We added karosyrup, but it didnt seem to help too much. We stopped the rice cereal, so I was wondering, can we skip the rice cereal altogether and just go straight to the pureed baby foods, since they are less thick? She eats 6oz of formula about every 2 and a half hours, and its definitley not holding her. I know I need to add solids, Im just not sure how to approach it withour the constipation happening again. Thanks for any advice!

kay526

Asked by kay526 at 12:44 AM on Nov. 28, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You don't HAVE to give her the rice cereal, but apple sauce, prunes, and/or apple juice or prune juice should help with constipation. You could mix them in with the cereal. Avoid bananas, they constipate worse than rice cereal and are recommended for babies with diarrhea to stop them up. I would ask your pediatrician what he/she thinks.
    CarriePM

Answer by CarriePM at 12:46 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• shit, we started our kids on real food when they were about four weeks. she might have a major problem with rice. the first foods we tried with our kids were mashed potatoes and gravy. i would switch to food and skip the rice. you could also toss what you're eating into the blender and feed her that. when my youngest was six months she had two helpings of corn beef and cabbage.
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 12:49 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• You certainly can skip infant cereal... it's just baby junk food, anyway! Try some mashed avocado or baked sweet potato.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 1:11 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• My pedi recommended this website as a guideline, it tells you what foods to start with first www.wholesomebabyfood.com
    The person who said that abnanas cause constipation is wrong. Apples might cause constipation. Mashed fresh banana is a great first food, so is squash and sweet potatoes. I make all my baby food for my 7 month old, I got all the info on how to make food from the website. I wouls stop the rice cereal all together and try some fruit and veggies
    wood1980

Answer by wood1980 at 8:20 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• You can absolutely skip the cereal. And just a word about the Karo syrup...stay away from it, it carries a risk of botulism poisoning, and their website specifies that it's not intended for infants.

Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:29 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• I personally never started my kids on the infant cereal. Also, I only started them on solids when they already had their first teeth. This is the signal that they are ready to move into some solid food. My first was 5 mos, 2nd was 4 mos and last was 10 mos old when they popped their first teeth. Next, I started with veggies. I didn't do much fruits as it is less nutritional value and creates a desire for sweet tasting things. We went through all the veggies first and now, at ages 14 yrs, 10 yrs, and almost 9 yrs - they all LOVE veggies and will grab carrots, celery, cucumbers, green beans, peas, or a full salad before almost anything else - even just to snack on! They LOVE their veggies!!
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 2:06 AM on Nov. 30, 2010