My doctor wants me to start my baby on rice cereal next month (4 months old)? Has anyone done this before, did your babies take it okay?

TawnyMarlow

Asked by TawnyMarlow at 12:47 AM on Nov. 28, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Your baby is eating perfectly for *her*. Nothing wrong with her in that department.

I would personally skip infant cereal and start on real solid foods, mashed banana or avocado, once she's showing that she's ready. She should sit unassisted and be really really interested in food (not just whatever you're doing, you will see a difference).

Some doctors are old school... rice cereal was invented before infant formula was fortified with iron and babies began needing extra iron. Now it's really just unneeded. Grains aren't a good first food, anyway...

Wait until she's ready and give her something *yummy*! You certainly don't have to do everything your doctor tells you to, do what's right for your daughter.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 1:09 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• I started mine on it closer to 5 months, and he loved it. Now we have moved on to other solids, but rice cereal is a decent place to start.
    CarriePM

Answer by CarriePM at 12:48 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• Yep did it with all four babies and babies tolerated it well and grew up fine!
    raynestar

Answer by raynestar at 12:48 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• My 2nd son did. He was taking 8 oz every 3-4 hours and not being satisfied. He did great. Some babies are just ready before others. Turns out he had a hyper metabolism. At 24 he still has to eat 5 meals a day to keep his blood sugar from dropping too low.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 12:50 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• Yes, my son loved it! I started it at 6 months (the average age) and just mixed a bit with his formula at first to get him used to it. He always preferred it straight up and semi-thick, and preferred the fruit flavored to the original as well.
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 12:51 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• we started DS on rice at 4 months and he did great! Didn't love the taste but we've since moved on to yummier things!
    mommy2mason529

Answer by mommy2mason529 at 12:52 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• my kids never really ate baby food. i just tossed what we ate into the blander with some water and feed them that. their favorite was corn beef and sweet potatoes.
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 12:52 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• I did it with my son. He was was very happy. You know when they are ready when they are very interested in you while you are eating
    JamieShaffstall

Answer by JamieShaffstall at 12:55 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• I just saw on your other posts she isn't eating very much. Definitely don't start cereal yet. She's not ready. Wait unitl 6 months or 8oz feedings
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 1:00 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• But thats what the doctor told me to do. this is why I am confused O.o;
    TawnyMarlow

Comment by TawnyMarlow (original poster) at 1:03 AM on Nov. 28, 2010