My baby is 3 months old and I can only get her to eat 2-4 ounces every 2 hours! Any tips to get her to eat more?

I fill the bottle up but she won't eat it all. Just refuses to eat more, and the few times I get her to eat more she vomits everything back up!

TawnyMarlow

Asked by TawnyMarlow at 12:54 AM on Nov. 28, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• She should have about 3-4 hours between feeds by now. That's probably why she is taking in so little. She is still digesting the last meal. Start stretching out her meal times. Make her weight 2.5 hours before feeding, then 3 hours and see how much she takes. If that works, stretch her out to 3.5 hours. Her ounces should increase as the time increases between feedings. 4 oz would be an appropriate amount, but 6oz would be fine too. :)
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 12:58 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• I guess I don't see the problem other than the fact that you don't need to be forcing her to eat!!!

The general rule of thumb is 1 ounce per age in months every 3-4 hours when they are under 4 months and every 4-6 after. She's eating PLENTLY and the fact that she's throwing up afterward a larger bottle should tell you that!

Why do you want her to eat more? Are you hoping to make your child obese by the time she's one?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:59 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• Why is that a problem? Stop trying to overfeed the poor thing and just give her what she's telling you she needs.

There's no amount of time she "should" be going between feeds right now... every 2 hours is perfect, really. It's better for them to eat smaller amounts more frequently.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 1:03 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• No I made that sound wrong sorry. My baby just only weighs 8 lbs and the doctors are concerned that she isn't getting enough food
    TawnyMarlow

Comment by TawnyMarlow (original poster) at 1:05 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• More often is the answer.

There is no way that you can put 4 or more ounces into a child's stomach that only holds 3. At least not without very bad side effects.

Small babies need to eat a lot more often than bigger babies, and every 2-3 hours is not 'a lot' or 'often'. Every 90 minutes is more appropriate.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 1:10 AM on Nov. 28, 2010