what do you think of one sibling washing out the mouth of another sibling

My 6 yr olds started kindergarten this year and ever since has been telling his 17 yr old sister "f*** you.....he saves this for his sister and would never dare say it to anyone else. So i told him the next time he says that to his sister she is allowed to wash his mouth out with soap.
He told her "I'm sorry" a million times after hearing that....now would it be so wrong for her to get a little so in his mouth next time he says those 2 words to her

wheresthewayout

Asked by wheresthewayout at 1:00 AM on Nov. 28, 2010 in General Parenting

• Putting soap in the childs mouth is not a good idea at all but an even worse idea to have the older sibling do it.

My older ones (19-17) do correct the younger ones (9-1) cause sometimes it is easier to correct the problem as it is happening then to wait until I get there to do it. However they are limited in how they can correct them, they can not touch or physically punish them, if that is going to happen it is my job. They can send them to their room, sometimes that requires them to pick them up and place them in thier room (especially if I am not home) and that is fine. They can send them to the corner, if I am home I make sure that it is appropriate, they are usually spot on so I have never had a problem.

Overall discipline is my responsibility...period. But I am not always there so they have a little "power" otherwise the younger ones will walk all over them.

luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 11:24 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• Sorry, after warning him several times..I'd be busting his butt for saying that to anyone! His sister is not his parent. That puts her in a power trip position and baits them against one another. YOU are the parent, be one!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:11 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• I don't think that one sibling disciplining another is a good idea.
    TaraK.

Answer by TaraK. at 1:05 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• Entirely inappropriate. Children are not in any position to be the parent, and certainly not the cop, judge, jury or jailer.

Teaching your children revenge is not going to help them be upstanding citizens.

Some 17yo needs to learn to be bigger than trite anglo-saxon syllables out of a 6yo's mouth for nothing more than attention. And saying sorry a million times isn't worth a red cent. Perhaps everyone can get a grip on the value of pushing air over teeth?
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 1:07 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• If YOU hear him say it to her, then I think it's YOUR job to discipline. I don't think it would be abuse if she did it, nor do I think it would hurt anything....maybe just his pride. But I still think it's the parent's job.
    DMac08

Answer by DMac08 at 1:12 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• I don't really get the point of them doing that. It doesn't seem helpful.
    seturkey

Answer by seturkey at 1:09 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• well he only says it to her when I won't be able to hear it this why I am thinking she should get him right then and there to wash his mouth out...this is not about me being lazy and hearing him say this and then letting her wash his mouth out.....oh if I heard him say this I WOULD BE THERE in no time doing my job as a parent.....
    wheresthewayout

Comment by wheresthewayout (original poster) at 1:22 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• my girls had soap in their mouth and once I did that they have been very polite with their words and to everyone...yes it does work
    wheresthewayout

Comment by wheresthewayout (original poster) at 1:23 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• I don't understand, your wording is confusing me.
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 1:45 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• Be a good example!

If your child is exposed to that language expect him to use it.
    By never speaking any certain way it will eventually become clear that this is how we do/don't speak.

doulala

Answer by doulala at 4:17 AM on Nov. 28, 2010