how can i make eye patching easy

my son have to do eyepatching it is so hard to get him to keep the patch on any ideas on how to make it easier for him . thanks

mala123

Asked by mala123 at 1:14 AM on Nov. 28, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Are you doing occlusive patching or just the lens of his glasses? It is very important that you be firm and make him comply. My Mother did not comply with Dr's orders regarding patching. I have been legally bl;ing in one eye since I was 14 because of it. Numerous Dr's have told me if she had been consistant they could have saved usuable vision in that eye. Talk to him about how important it is to make his bad eye stronger. Don't give in.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 1:18 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• They sell cool designed eye patches at hot topic. Not sure if they will do what a "normal" eyepatch would but they are worth checking out. Or just ge have him pick out some cool fabric and sew it over the plain one. It will make him feel more like he has control over something in the situation.
    TaraK.

Answer by TaraK. at 1:35 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• If you are just supposed to cover one eye for a certain number of hours you could use a large band-aid ... Just an idea..saw a doctor suggest it!
    mom2maddie06

Answer by mom2maddie06 at 1:41 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• Please do it............it can make a difference in the rest of his/her life. If you don't, the eyes won't work the same and your child may have to deal with being "Cross-eyed" or "lazy-eyed" forever! Please please please do whatever it takes! The eye muscles need to be trained and if you ignore it................the opportunity is gone forever............they will never work in unison! Please, I beg of you for your child's sake!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:04 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• Maybe you could have him draw "his eye" on the patch so he looks cool while wearing it. Like previous posters, comply with doctors orders and enforce the patch. I have had a lazy eye my whole life, im 18 and just got muscle surgery a yr ago, im stuck with double vision =( My mother says nothing worked for my la
    xo0kcg0ox

Answer by xo0kcg0ox at 2:29 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• I always let my son design his own eye patches...he liked that he could decide what he wanted to wear on his patch each day. I know how hard it is to make them do some thing that makes them so miserable. Hang in there.
    mommyrocks5

Answer by mommyrocks5 at 2:42 AM on Nov. 28, 2010